The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Can you comment on my chosen affiliate program?

TheCalmBefore

affiliate
Hello,

I'm new to affiliate marketing but not to marketing overall. I've been interested in information security and I've helped some of my friends with setting up reddit channel on this topic. But I want to become an affiliate myself, and I saw that VPN service provider NordVPN has an established program.

They offer 40% for every sale you make for a 6 months, 1&2 year plans and for their renewals. An average cost of the plan is ~$5-6 so I'd get a bit less than ~$3 per sale. Is this an OK profit and will a VPN be hard to sell? I've noticed a big interest in information security nowadays and thinking it might be really worth to jump in. Thanks!!!

Hi. Would your $3 put you at a positive ROI? What does the profit on the renewals look like?

It depends on what your financial goal is. You'd need 30 sales to make $90. If you want to live off your affiliate earnings, you'll either need to sell a ton of the VPN, or you can do what many people do and make it just one of the products or services you're promoting.

Nice thing is that it has recurring, passive income.

Hi. Would your $3 put you at a positive ROI? What does the profit on the renewals look like?

It depends on what your financial goal is. You'd need 30 sales to make $90. If you want to live off your affiliate earnings, you'll either need to sell a ton of the VPN, or you can do what many people do and make it just one of the products or services you're promoting.

Nice thing is that it has recurring, passive income.
Nice answer,.same with me what you say...

Affiliate sales are a very different model than things like CPA. With affiliate sales, I recommend having a suite of affiliate offers, each with their own landing pages.

Here is how marketing formulas work in CPA. We take the same offer from 2 or 3 networks, build at least five landing pages and creatives, then split test them on 1 or 2 traffic sources. This way we can see what works and what doesn't. With CPA, we are usually looking for extremely high volumes of traffic with the hopes of earning pennies to dollars for click throughs and conversions.

With affiliate marketing, it is a different animal because we typically sign up for the affiliate program at the product/service/platform home page (or affiliate portal) and agree to market their product/service/platform. With an affiliate program, most often there ar no networks involved. Thee are some exceptions like Clickbank amd Commission Junction, but typically solid affiliate programs stad on their own. Once signed up for an affiliate program, we then use the same process for refining campaigns by starting with 5 or more landers and sets of copies to split test and refine campaigns. With affiliate sales, we are typically looking to earn well over $20 or $30 for the click throughs and conversions and all the way up to many thousands of dollars on the very high ticket items.

If you are promoting something like a VPN for those types of earnings, be sure to quickly add more affiliate marketing campaigns so your portfolio has a chance for significant earnings in total.

The only way I would use a $3 payout is as bait for more profitable offers.

• In other words, have some related offers available on that landing page.
  • That opens up a new problem however as the the person viewing the landing page can be distracted by the other offers ...

The other strategy is the repeat income option.

• I suppose if you had a replenishing pool of 1,000 customers that were buying every month then you make $3,000 GROSS REVENUE;
  • less your constant advertising expense replacing the customers that you have sold and then leave the program;
  • you will always need new customers and their revenue.

Last edited:
Some people are going to take the 1 month option, but some are going to take the 3 year option, so your average earnings per sale will most likely actually be higher than $3.

CPA networks have this offer and I think they pay $20 per conversion; not sure if they have to sign up for a certain plan or what...

Hi!
You can try to work with NordVPN but it is really hard to make conversions on their product. Before starting working with them make sure that you looked through their requirements towards conversions. They are really strict. Maybe it would be better to start from other kind of offer?
Anyway good luck!

MI
Back