The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Blogtimize! from Google

Linda Buquet

affiliate
I was just reading Google's recommendations for placement of Adsense ads on blogs for the best click through and conversion rates. Everything they say applies to affiliate marketing so I think that affiliates and even merchants could get something out of reading this and reviewing the pictures of the optimum ad placement.

"Whether the subject is gadgets, gossip, or a glimpse into the writer's personal life, readers are deeply engaged with the content of their favorite blogs. What could be more effective than displaying an ad precisely relevant to that content? An ad after each post can serve as a "commercial break" from reading or as an "action step" to take after reading."
From the Official Google Adsense Blog - Inside AdSense: Blogtimize!
http://adsense.blogspot.com/2006/01/blogtimize.html

What do you think?

Content should come first, something you stand for and behind. Then the ads need to be placed in the right spots, and that will get you a lot further than putting up a blog about nothing, slam the ads on, and then try to hustle up links. Just MO :)

I believe the ad placement will also depend on your website and its layout.

While some of my blogs perform better with ads placed on the right side, others perform better with it placed on the left.

I always place my content above the fold (though sometimes I do put a large banner above the content) - and I also work to make sure the ads do not interfere with the visitors' reading pleasure.

Another trick I use (mainly on my more personal blogs which have a lot of repeat visitors who may be ad blind) is to show them ads based on where they come from.

If they're referred from Google, Yahoo!, MSN, or other search engines - they will receive the Google AdSense ads and affiliate links, if they come from another website, they will most likely receive some on topic affiliate links - if they come from a bookmark or direct address, they only get my Google AdSense referral button.

I like to experiment :D

I think that is key to being successful as an affiliate :) Experimenting is a must. It amazed me how there really are no set rules - every site is different. I think that ads not looking like ads, but as a part of the actual site, is what works best, but the location is really depending one where what content is. I've just pretty much repeated what you've said, just giving it some emphasis ;)

MI
Back