The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Beyond Banners: What Helps Affiliates Sell Stuff?

Alex Maxim

Affiliate Manager
Affiliate Manager
Higher Grades Faster!™
Hey there guys,
I trust that this post finds you all in excellent spirits, and having a pleasant weekend.

I'm wondering if anyone can clear up a bit of a mystery for me: looking at the programs offered by affiliate networks, it seems obvious that banners are really important marketing materials for helping affiliates drive conversions and earn commission.

However, from my observations, the following questions have arisen:
  1. Why are so many of the banners out there so poor (static, low resolution, dull photography, cheesy fonts)? Are there some kind of technical limitations (file format, size) imposed by the affiliate networks which effectively necessitate low-quality banners?
  2. Apart from banners, what other marketing materials help affiliates to sell stuff? I've seen various PPC-style ad copy sentences on sites such as clixGalore, but that's about it. What about videos, for example? What materials should merchants provide to make their affiliates happy?
As ever, any guidance, tips or pointers are enormously appreciated.

With very best wishes,

Alex Maxim

Hey there guys,
I hope that this post finds you all having a wonderful week.

Does anyone have any guidance on what – apart from great banners – helps affiliates sell more easily?

Please do let me know your thoughts. It would be great to hear from anyone knowledgeable on this topic.

With very best wishes,

Alex Maxim

For selling a limited product line maybe some pre-made landing pages that can be used for ads -- downloadable or hosted.
If you have any illusions of some high-traffic websites giving you media placements on a CPA basis -- good luck with that one ;)

For selling a limited product line maybe some pre-made landing pages that can be used for ads -- downloadable or hosted.
If you have any illusions of some high-traffic websites giving you media placements on a CPA basis -- good luck with that one ;)

Dear Mr Graybeard,
Thank you very much indeed for your kind response, which is – as ever – enormously appreciated.

The company I represent does have landing pages for its course. How can these be used for ads? Is it a case of copying the page content, or basing PPC ads on the landing page copy?

Re: media placements on a CPA basis...does this mean that affiliate marketing is not an appropriate sales channel for educational courses? We thought it was commission-based, and the higher the commission, the more likely the interest from affiliates...

With very best wishes,

Alex Maxim

I've seen game offers with videos that were CPA based.

Dear Ms azgold,
Thank you very much indeed for your kind response, and I hope that you're having a fine day.

I guess what I was wondering was this – on affiliate program listings, all I've seen are banners and PPC-style text snippets:

clixGalore Affiliate Marketing - Affiliate Program Search

ShareASale.com and Cupshe

You mentioned a game with some video promotional materials. Are these video materials appreciated by affiliates, or do they prefer banners and PPC-style text?

With very best wishes,

Alex Maxim

You mentioned a game with some video promotional materials. Are these video materials appreciated by affiliates, or do they prefer banners and PPC-style text?

Yes. :D Some people will prefer some of those, some will prefer all of those, some will prefer none of those.

The game vertical works well with videos on YT, so it makes sense to have gameplay videos for that.

A lot of people (apparently) prefer video to text. I'm not one of those, I prefer reading but I'm old. :D

I'm not sure that you're looking at all this the right way. Who buys the product and where do they hang out and what do they like. If they're younger and always on their phone, maybe push, interstitial or other type of mobile. If they're older, desktop with banners, search, whatever. See what I mean?

Although I don't know if you just didn't mention it but landers play an important aspect, too.

Regarding the quality of various ad presentations....that is within your control.

Last edited:
Why are so many of the banners out there so poor (static, low resolution, dull photography, cheesy fonts)? ...

If you have cheap access to a Banner Display traffic source (e.g. your blog) and you found a good offer pays well and fits your blog readers/audience market. You could design an eye-catching banner. and it will convert better.

Other traffic sources:
Email Marketing - List building - lead gen
Push Ads is good traffic source.
build a retargeting pixel

but in general. each niche/offer is little unique. Reach your affiliate manager and ask them what traffic sources did well on this particular offer.

I'm also interested in what other affiliate are using. and whats working best in 2019

Yes. :D Some people will prefer some of those, some will prefer all of those, some will prefer none of those.

The game vertical works well with videos on YT, so it makes sense to have gameplay videos for that.

A lot of people (apparently) prefer video to text. I'm not one of those, I prefer reading but I'm old. :D

I'm not sure that you're looking at all this the right way. Who buys the product and where do they hang out and what do they like. If they're younger and always on their phone, maybe push, interstitial or other type of mobile. If they're older, desktop with banners, search, whatever. See what I mean?

Although I don't know if you just didn't mention it but landers play an important aspect, too.

Regarding the quality of various ad presentations....that is within your control.

Dear Ms azgold,
Thank you very much indeed for your kind post, and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to you.

In terms of who buys the product, the target demographic is parents of teenagers in the 13-18 age group, so people who learn more towards desktop environments than average.

Re: landing pages, what in particular is important to get right, in your experience?

With very best wishes,

Alex Maxim

If you have cheap access to a Banner Display traffic source (e.g. your blog) and you found a good offer pays well and fits your blog readers/audience market. You could design an eye-catching banner. and it will convert better.

Other traffic sources:
Email Marketing - List building - lead gen
Push Ads is good traffic source.
build a retargeting pixel

but in general. each niche/offer is little unique. Reach your affiliate manager and ask them what traffic sources did well on this particular offer.

I'm also interested in what other affiliate are using. and whats working best in 2019

Dear Mr Houston,
Thank you very much indeed for your kind response, and please accept our apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

We are actually looking at things from the merchant perspective rather than the affiliate side: the company I represent wants to provide their affiliates with top-grade sales materials, and they were wondering why this type of content (banners, etc.) is not better executed by merchants.

With very best wishes,

Alex Maxim

MI
Back