The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Best ways to optimize for a competitive keyword.

DrMarie

affiliate
Let's say I want to appear high on the SERPS for "green widgets". Currently when you type in "green widgets" I am behind 6 other websites.

What things do you think would be best for me to do to try to be #1 for "green widgets"?

So far, I am doing the following:
-Including the words "green widgets" in the context of my page as many times as I can without being spammy.
-building quality backlinks with the anchor text of "green widgets".

Is there anything else I can be doing?

Thanks!

Assumed so, just double checking.

Have you analyzed the other pages above you to see how many backlinks they have and to evaluate their on page SEO?

Other than that, sounds like you are doing everything I can think of.

The three main ones you and Linda have already covered:

1. phrase in page title
  2. phrase in anchor text of incoming links
  3. phrase on page
Just keep working on #2 and you'll get there.

Oh, and make sure that your meta desciption tag (a) contains that phrase and (b) gives people a reason to choose you above the others even if you're not #1. I would suggest that including the fact that you are a licensed veterinarian would be a good addition if it's not already there.

Put your keywords in on site links and off site links. As long as your pages appear pretty natural, you won’t have much to worry about it. Just write as you would normally write, make sure your keywords are in your title, URL, and perhaps the domain name, and get keyword-rich links back from relevant sites.

Good luck!

if the terms are competitive, you can add all the meta tags you want, all the titles you want. Only quality, trusted backlinks will give you a chance. Sometimes, that won't do so you should also consider targeting different keywords instead.

So I changed my content on my landing page to add my keyword in a few more times. Google has reindexed me and my page is at #2 for that keyword! Interesting...

As a previous cat owner and current guardian of two of my son's cats, this made me laugh:

Dr. Marie runs a veterinary advice site and is also the owner of ... <snip> ... Cat Peeing in the House

Gotta hate when that happens. :D

wow, i'm new to this marketing stuff and did'nt know about what it needs to be done to be in one of the first places in google, thanks.

As a previous cat owner and current guardian of two of my son's cats, this made me laugh:

Quote:
Dr. Marie runs a veterinary advice site and is also the owner of ... ... Cat Peeing in the House
Gotta hate when that happens.

LOL minstrel! I was trying to find good keywords to drive traffic to my site. I figured not too many people would search for "inappropriate urination" or "interstitial cystitis" or other medical terms. But "cat peeing in house" is quite a popular search term!

Incidently, today I am number 1 on my google search for my competetive search term! YAY!

Make your site unique. (Such as a good fast loading SEO theme that no one else has)
Add outbound links relative to your main keyword
Add video to your web pages
Add more content that is keyword rich

There are so many things you can do to inch your way up but don’t do them all at once. Little by little is best unless it is the first launch. And if you go slightly down in the rankings don’t over react by changing things. Let it ride and settle.

I forgot one more thing that is very powerful

Try to ad content that is relative to your keyword in some way that is breaking news on the internet or tv.

Make your site unique. (Such as a good fast loading SEO theme that no one else has)
Add outbound links relative to your main keyword
Add video to your web pages

:confused:

I don't think any of these things is going to help you with SEO.

LOL minstrel! I was trying to find good keywords to drive traffic to my site. I figured not too many people would search for "inappropriate urination" or "interstitial cystitis" or other medical terms. But "cat peeing in house" is quite a popular search term!

Incidently, today I am number 1 on my google search for my competetive search term! YAY!

That's great..
Usually webmaster strive hard get top ranking for most targeted keywords which may take longer time but if you start with Long Tail Keywords then you will quickly see better results, which will improve your confidence.

:confused:

I don't think any of these things is going to help you with SEO.

I beg to disagree minstrel.

With A fast loading theme that loads the page quicker and that is unique. Like not having what everyone has like a blogs default Wordpress links and default Wordpress structures (such as adding your own footer that has links to your home, privacy policy, about us and contact us to your blog). Combined with Outbound links relative to your content that are keyword rich and with video (Google loves pages with video) will make your site rank much better.

I am not saying that each individual tip I gave above will make you rank better on their own. But combined together they can boost your rankings pretty quickly. I have just completed a test on a PPC site I have that did not have those teqniques and ranked below 1000 and when those techniques were applied, it ranked all the way up to 353 within one hour and is 7 in Yahoo! That is quite a jump.

Don’t take my word for it. Try it for yourself and you will see that it does work.

I beg to disagree minstrel.

With A fast loading theme that loads the page quicker and that is unique. Like not having what everyone has like a blogs default Wordpress links and default Wordpress structures (such as adding your own footer that has links to your home, privacy policy, about us and contact us to your blog).

How fast a page loads is a (new) factor with Google. Whether the theme/style is unique or the same as hundreds of other pages is irrelevant. Spiders can't see visuals, only text/content.

Combined with Outbound links relative to your content that are keyword rich

Outbound links from your page, links pointing AWAY from your page, don't help with ranking and never have. What helps are incoming links, links pointing AT your page.

and with video (Google loves pages with video) will make your site rank much better.

Whether Google does or does not love video is irrelevant. It doesn't help your page rank. If it slows down your page load time, it may have a negative impact for that reason. Again, spiders don't see video; they only see text. That's why optimizing an all Flash site is more challenging.

I am not saying that each individual tip I gave above will make you rank better on their own. But combined together they can boost your rankings pretty quickly. I have just completed a test on a PPC site I have that did not have those teqniques and ranked below 1000 and when those techniques were applied, it ranked all the way up to 353 within one hour and is 7 in Yahoo! That is quite a jump.

If so, it is due to factors other than the three highlighted here.

Now your in #2, try having a better Meta description then the one at #1. Sure you will be having the advantage

I don't think Meta description plays a vital role now when it comes for SEO ;) rather powerful Title tag, unique content, quality backlinks would help you for better ranking.
Recently Google have started giving importance for fast loading webpages.

MI
Back