The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

As a copywriter, how much can a person make?

Wow! That's a LOT!

Yup. But we're talking 250-word pages on what felt like the same damn subject every time. Add 9-hour days and you have an unstable molotov cocktail of temporary success!

I did. Then got very sick. This is something that new writers need to monitor. You get so mentally drained that you start dreading your work, or struggle with it, even though it was easy for you previously.

I’m still learning to find the balance on this. Even when the subject is interesting to you, burnout is always looming around the next overly lengthy session. Sometimes your brain snaps and you just need a break; sometimes it’s a slow burn to eventual disgust with the work you’re doing. I can’t offer much advice here because I’m still very much in a learning phase on this part. However, I notice that it’s important to forgive yourself for taking a break (looking at it positively - like recharging rather than giving up). I do think it’s smart to mix “outright breaks” (taking a walk, playing sports, traveling, taking a weekend off, reading) with “relevant breaks” (reading about your craft, consuming interesting content that is related to your subject matter, practicing your craft in a unique, light-hearted way) depending on your mood. I now spend a few hours out of my workday doing things like… well, posting on forums about copywriting :)

Also, a burnout is not permanent! But it’s very, very tough to work through. Sometimes an outright break is the only solution - the less you think about your work during, the fresher your perspective will be upon return.

Yes and yet, for me, it's the words that I love most. The reason that I did it in the first place, even though I couldn't always use them the way I wanted in order to fulfill an order.

Yes, that’s what drew me in too! It’s very helpful when the words are a passion. I have as much fun analyzing grammar as a mechanic finding the cause of a Check Engine light. Personal enjoyment gives you greater command/flexibility over your results and fights burnout.

I see a lot of courses offering copywriting to people who don’t consider themselves writers. It’s one thing to have a passion you want to turn into something applicable, but I think it’s an entirely different (uphill) battle for someone who is naturally frustrated by writing. Many elements of copywriting are tremendously valuable in any profession - everyone should learn the basics - but actually becoming a copywriter is an exercise in frustration for most who don’t share this basic love of words.

I think you have to have the drive, or at least the willingness to learn these things. Very seldom are they inherent to a writer. A working knowledge of NLP and the like compliment SEO/KW strategies nicely.

Yup. When I started, I was a very good writer - and a very poor copywriter. Years later, and I believe I’ve finally achieved “mediocre” - thanks to studying all the external elements that surround how each piece of copy is perceived. Long way to go… but it’s all there to be learned. Don’t be afraid of that brain-hurting feeling. What is alien now will be second nature, but only after time. Don’t rush yourself.

(FYI, most of these comments are aimed at others reading this thread - I imagine you’ve already learned most of this stuff the same way I did - with time and plenty of frustration!)

And while you're doing that, you'll gain more clients and loyal, repeat clients.

That’s why I love this industry. If you focus on improving yourself and are positive, yet appropriately critical, you’ll grow and succeed. If you treat it like a zero sum game, you’ll hinder your own progress.

Love your post, @Ben@Advidi! So, so on target with how it is and how it should be.

Thanks, azgold! I’ve been enjoying your posts too, and happy to see someone else so passionate about copywriting. I’ve noticed there isn’t much focus on it in AM. I’m new to the industry myself - came from SMB/yellow pages (hence the 40+ page days; not a lot of mental effort meant lots of burnout phases). I have noticed that those who at least acknowledge the usefulness of good copy get a boost in their campaigns. And I’m seeing some who are really learning to blend classic copywriting/sales techniques with AM to build sustainable models that aren’t reliant on rented properties or paid traffic.

Yup. But we're talking 250-word pages on what felt like the same damn subject every time. Add 9-hour days and you have an unstable molotov cocktail of temporary success!

Downside? Dopamine rush that can addict you to trying to experience that level (or higher) of success. Like gambling, lol.

I’m still learning to find the balance on this.

That's a tough one, sometimes. You work from home....the more you work, the better your chance to pay the rent...you write morning, noon and night. Just finish up that order. That web page will only take me a few minutes, oh what the heck, why not finish the other pages too. I should be done by midnight. I can invoice tonight and take tomorrow off. Except you don't. Just an example from my life. :)

Yes, that’s what drew me in too! It’s very helpful when the words are a passion.

I'm often reminded of a Truman Capote quote, "Sometimes you have to kill your darlings." He was referring to words.

Oh, the torment of having crafted the most beautiful or clever sentence ever written and having to butcher it for one reason or another.

I have as much fun analyzing grammar

One of my pet peeves? Websites with glaring spelling errors. Why doesn't somebody proofread? Why doesn't somebody tell them? I do, if I know the site owner. I have wondered if anyone besides myself and others like me, even notice.

I think it’s an entirely different (uphill) battle for someone who is naturally frustrated by writing.

It can be frustrating even for those who have been in the game awhile, so yeah, even more so for those who think it's easy and aren't really naturally led to wordsmithing and all that entails in this genre.

Many elements of copywriting are tremendously valuable in any profession

Agreed! Once they become second nature, you may even find some of the psych techniques slipping into your speech, haha.

When I started, I was a very good writer - and a very poor copywriter.

Ditto here. Who knew there was a difference? ;) Especially back in the earlier days when you were praised for your writing skills by the marketers you wrote articles, press releases, etc. for? The first order for an actual sales page can bring that home, really fast.

Don’t be afraid of that brain-hurting feeling. What is alien now will be second nature, but only after time. Don’t rush yourself.

Oh, I'm past all that. Not on a learning level. My illness was like a switch that got turned off. I no longer want to write, at all. Anything I force myself to do is pure crap, just cranking out anything to get it over with. I'm pretty sure that somewhere inside my head, I now equate writing with bad things happening.

time and plenty of frustration!

Haha, there is no shortage of frustration but there is satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment when you see your stuff in print/online/whatever and know that you just helped somebody with their business. I like that.

I’ve noticed there isn’t much focus on it in AM.

Some of that, I believe, is due to affiliates using more paid advertising and less site building and article marketing than previously used. Not to worry though. Native advertising presents you with a huge opportunity. Get out there, make connections, showcase your work. If a client likes the first one, you'll get plenty more orders.

As far as I know, the current rate for a copywriter goes somewhere between $7-$8/hour or $490-$520/month. But the terms of the payment could also vary depending on the nature of services needed... I have tried copywriting once and I made about 500 bucks a month (that was 3 years ago)...:)

Now you can still earn more, it all depends on what quality of work you provide and how fast work

On fiverr I was doing technical content copy writeup for $5 per 250/300 words. So if the article required 1200 words, they would order 4 gigs.

I did this while I had a 2+hour daily commute on public transit. When I was no longer doing that transit, I stopped taking that kind of work.

On fiverr I was doing technical content copy writeup for $5 per 250/300 words.

Wow, that's cheap for technical writing! Probably helped make that loooong commute seem a bit shorter, or at least productive. Great time management! :) If you could make a few bucks every day while riding the train, why the heck not?

I had a 2+hour daily commute on public transit.

Brutal!

Between doing tech writing & web-scraping gigs, I pocketed just over $600. The two hour commute wasn't SO bad, as it was only 4 days a week with 1 telecommute. Additionally if the weather was bad & the trains were delayed, I got to work home as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 9.01.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 9.01.13 PM.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 24
Copywriters are paid depending on the length of the articles/blogs, while some are paid in hourly rates. There are also project-based. It all depends upon how a writer and a client communicate with the terms. Now, quality writings can range from $10-15 dollars. High-paying clients can provide $100-$500 per month.

I tryied once to write texts and this is the time when I found out that this is not for me. It is a really hard work even it seems not to be as difficult as it is.

I tryied once to write texts and this is the time when I found out that this is not for me. It is a really hard work even it seems not to be as difficult as it is.
Me the same, this work is quite hard and not paid so good.

It depends a lot for which language. Nordics are the most expensive as far as I know. I know copywriters that earn around 3000-4000 dollar/month after tax. Know a really good one who writes in Norwegian. Earns a lot. Otherwise a niched articled in English (500 words) that requires more research and industry knowledge goes for around 30-50 dollar/article. It all depends of the quality of the content you need.
Yes, it depends on language. I know that Russian copywriters are paid low.

banners
Back