The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Are "social logins" worth it?

Jeremiah Hsiao

affiliate
Hey, everyone!

I am new to Websitefix, I have built many shop for my clients and struggling a bit with everything that is or isn't needed - especially concerning apps with returning costs.

My question to you is: Do social login buttons convert? Do people use them and does it really reduce friction and not just mess up your database? What are your experiences? I guess it also depends on what store your running, but another question would be on which logins are the ones most used, since I am thinking of facebook and instagram primarily (but there seem to be less alternatives providing IG login).

Thanks a lot, I am very interested in your answers!

As a consumer not running any e-commerce solutions I never click on the connect with xxx buttons mainly as I believe it's more secure to create a new account manually with a random password, secondly I am not sure what details are passed across from the social login to the site your joining.

With hacks and security breeches happening pretty much daily I think there may be a lot of people who think the same as me.

My question to you is: Do social login buttons convert? Do people use them and does it really reduce friction and not just mess up your database? What are your experiences? I guess it also depends on what store your running, but another question would be on which logins are the ones most used, since I am thinking of facebook and instagram primarily (but there seem to be less alternatives providing IG login).
While there are security risks involved on the users end as Cavalier points out, many people hate creating new accounts everywhere they go on the net. Social media login is convenient for them. They not only don't have to spend lots of time creating new accounts each time they are on a site where they are expected to register before buying something, it also makes the whole process easier because they don't have to remember too many passwords either.

Having the [social media login] option might probably boast conversions.

While the login is a convenience for the front end, it is often coupled with other permissions allowing the benefactor freedoms within the social platform. Many users don't read the fine print.

To be quite frankly with you, I have never clicked it ever in my life, simply because I don't feel that safe with it and I just prefer the old way of creating a new account manually. My advice on this is that it's not that important to create these "social logins", but you can work on making the registeration process more easy so that people will not want to leave (ofcourse, due to simplicity being implemented in our society). If you want to have social logins, I would say have them after gaining more popularity.

I hate when the only way I have to connect with a site, even if it is simply leaving a comment, is to use something like facebook. This is a huge no no in my book, sometimes if you are leaving comments you don't want to reveal your real name or location, there are a lot of crazy people out there that could take offense on something that you post and could start harassing you, that's not worth the trouble. I talk from personal experience and, trust me, I don't have particularly strong or controversial opinions yet I have had some trouble with that.

That being said, for some sites, if they have this social aspect and you actually want to share your activities on those places, using facebook to log in is a huge time saver.

banners
Back