The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Aiming For Gold -- 7 Olympic Lessons For Success

gradyp

I always enjoy watching the Olympics. I've watched them as far back as I can remember. It's not that I watch any particular sport. I enjoy the stories almost as much as the events. I find the Olympics to be very inspiring.

As I watched the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, I thought about why I was always inspired by the games. For me, the games inspire me because they show what can be done. But this year, I began to think not just about what inspired me about the games, but also about what I can learn and how I can apply it to the things that I want to achieve.

Thinking about the stories that touch me, I found 7 basic lessons. Olympic athletes Aim high, go through extensive training, go all out, and know when to make a big change and when to stay the course. They keep trying, even when things look look bleak. During the course of an event, they make adjustments to what they are doing. But the best performances of all come from those who are having fun in what they are doing.

Aiming High

Michael Phelps amazed the world in Beijing. He set out to win 8 gold medals. Not only did he win all 8 events he competed in, he set a world or Olympic record in nearly every one of them.

When we set our sights on something we want to achieve, we should set our goals high. The higher we set them, the higher we can reach. Aiming high is taking what no one says is possible and making that your target. Most Olympic athletes will tell you that they got into their sport or were inspired to excellence by watching what someone else had done, and then saying, "Someday, I'll do one better."

Training

Todd Rogers has been playing volleyball for nearly 20 years. He played indoor volleyball in high school, and led his team to a championship. In 1995, while in college, he began playing beach volleyball. It took more than ten years after that before he won gold in Beijing.

Becoming an Olympic athlete doesn't happen overnight. You can't just wake up in July before the game start and say "I'm going to compete in the Olympics." It takes years to learn the game, to perfect technique, and become great. Even then, it takes ongoing training. Every athlete has a coach who can show them how they can be better. The coach facilitates learning new strategies and techniques. But a true champion's training continues.

We should find someone who can coach us, show us what we can do to improve. We should realize that it will take time for us to achieve our goals. Most of all, we need to realize that it may take us some time to reach our dreams.

Going All Out

Jonathan Horton had very little chance of making gold. He would need to do a perfect high bar routine, and he would have to put in a few moves that he had not performed up to that point. With several high twisting releases, he stunned the crowd. A small step on the landing was the only thing that kept him from winning the gold.

The best thing we can do in trying to achieve our dreams is to go all out. Put everything you have into achieving your goal. Once you commit to achieving a goal, put all your effort into achieving it. Lay it all on the line. Do the best you can, and you will always be satisfied with the result.

Change

The world was shocked when the US fail to reach the gold medal game in the 2004 Olympic games in Athens. Some of it was because the players on that team failed to take the rest of the world seriously. They took it for granted that they would win. But Coach "K" was not about to let that happen this time around. He put together a team of some of the best players in the league and motivated them to an undefeated and are favored in the gold medal round. Coach K recognized the need for a different approach to the team and took it.

Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh almost split up after winning gold in the Athens game. But after talking things out, they decided to stick together. In the last year, they have not lost a single game. During the 2008 Beijing games, the pair never lost a set. They became the first team to repeat as winners in the Olympic games.

One of the keys to success is knowing when to make a major change and when to stay the same. When things are not working is the time to make a change. To make improvements, we need to stop doing the things that are no longer working for us. But when things are working, making a change can lead to problems. In fact, keeping things as they are can provide you success.

Keep Trying

In Atlanta, Georgia at the 1996 Olympics, Kerri Strug wanted to do her best to win a gold medal for the US team. She just had one problem. On her first vault, she stumbled and hurt her ankle. Talking to her coach, they decided she needed a 9.6 to win the gold. Her foot hurt, but she went ahead and made one last vault. She amazed the world as she stuck her landing and began hopping on one foot.

Shawn Johnson had to be frustrated. She had participated in three event finals so far in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, but only had 3 silver medals to show for it. This would be her last chance for a gold medal. After doing the best routine she could, she had to wait for two more finalists to go before she found out she won the gold.

Difficulties always arise, no matter what we do. Many things might happen that could make us want to give up and quit. We need to push through those times and try to achieve in spite of those obstacles.

Adjustments

Tragedy had struck the US men's volleyball team soon after opening ceremony for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The head coach's father-in-law was murdered. But the team still had to play. They relied on the assistant coach to make it through that first game. Through all the games, the US team had to adjust what they were doing to make it to the gold medal match.

Sometimes, things are working pretty good for us, but we just need to make slight adjustments to do better. Conditions change, and we must be ready to adapt with them. Now, I'm not talking about the big changes. These are just minor changes. Fine tuning things that are working can make them work better. Like a ship at sea needs corrections to stay on course, we need to make adjustments in what we are doing to reach our goals.

Have Fun

The US men's gymnastic team had no shot of winning team gold in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Two of their best hopes for gold had to withdraw before the start of the games. This left the US team as the underdogs. But they decided to go out and have some fun. Amazingly, the team pulled out a bronze medal.

Some of the best performances of the Olympics come from people and teams that are just plain having fun. Having fun brings out the best in us. People can tell when you are having fun, and can be drawn to it. When we enjoy what we are doing, it makes things go faster. Enjoy what you do, and everything will seem easier and you will be more relaxed.

I have a long way to go myself before I feel that I'm a champion. But I know that if I apply the things that I've learned while watching the Olympics, I will find success. Come reach for the gold with me.

1. Aim High
2. Training
3. Go All Out
4. Know When to Change, and When Not to.
5. Keep Trying
6. Make Adjustments
7. Have fun

Wow Grady, very inspiring!

I hate to admit that I'm not an Olympics fan and have not watched one minute of it this year.
HOWEVER you almost make me want to now.

Thanks so much for the inspiring post!

Thank you, Linda. I always enjoy watching the Olympics when I can. Nearly every time, you can find stories of great inspiration, courage, and outstanding achievement. Many of the sports, must admit, I don't follow except during those 2 weeks. Often, you can find stories of people who overcome obstacles, push themselves to the limit, and achieve success. Sometimes, that success, for them, might not be the gold. Sometimes, just getting a bronze can be a great acheivement. There are a lot of disappointments, as well. But the truly remarkable stories are those of past Olympians who failed to acheive but come back time after time and finally succeed.

As I realized the other day, watching the Olympics can teach you about success in any endeavor, if you are looking for those lessons.

Thanks again, Linda!

Grady

banners
Back