The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Affiliate Direct Linking - Measuring the Impact for Merchants

Linda Buquet

affiliate
This article breaks down the various issues involved and shows how to measure the impact, when affiliates direct link their PPC campaigns to the merchant instead of linking to the affiliate's own landing page first.

I wish more merchants would allow affiliates to direct link as it's especially helpful for allowing affiliates to test a campaign prior to building out an landing page or landing site. I can understand the issues raised in the article to some degree however, if the merchant already has their own PPC campaign going.

<strong><a href="http://searchengineland.com/direct-linking-affiliates-nuisance-or-real-problem-17054">Direct Linking Affiliates: Nuisance Or Serious Problem?</a></strong>
"Most affiliate managers and brand owners agree that they are not fond of the practice where affiliate marketers direct link from a search campaign to the advertiser?s web site. While frowned upon, the practice may be simply a nuisance because you just don?t like it or could become a more serious problem that is costing money either directly or indirectly due to skewed decisions. The only way to know for sure is to measure the impact with real quantifiable numbers."

Yes, while we frown upon it (we have in-house PPC), it is still done within our program. I've found many PPC marketers are unaware that it is even an issue- probably because there are so many e-books, etc. offering this strategy- as an easy way to jump into internet marketing.

THanks for the info.

Honestly being an affiliate nothing makes me want to work with a merchant less then, them putting a bunch of restrictions on what I can do. Granted there's boundries such as things that would tarnish your brand. But in my opinion most things should be allowed. You want to use affilaites to help you promote your product but handcuff them, why? At then end of the day when it comes to PPC you should be able to beat anyone out anytime very easily.

Empower your affiliates and do anything you can to help them and you'll have much more success as a merchant, in my opinion. Limit them and they'll probably just shy away from working with you.

banners
Back