The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

5 Ways to KEEP Affiliates Happy & Motivated!

Well I don't think it's really a matter of being considerate. It's a matter of being fair and smart - realizing there may be valid reasons for the inactivity.

I think CJ culls affiliates with no sales after 6 months. I know good affiliates that got canned right after they started building a new site for CJ merchants, but before they were able to get a sale.

I'm curious. How much does it cost you per month to keep an inactive affiliate?
Is there any cost at all?

You see I was informed that some inactive affiliates are still using our campaigns and creatives. It's like they have their ways of stealing from us without giving us due credits. So now I'm confused whether or not I should trust even inactive affiliates that they really are way out of our league.

An inactive affiliate cannot steal from you. Their links may or may not function and they don't get paid so what's the beef other than perhaps out of date creative. A polite request for them to remove links should suffice.

As for whether an affiliate should be removed from a program for inactivity well I am not going to comment much on that. Removing an inactive affiliate from an entire network does happen and some networks activity and zeal in doing this verges on paranoia.

I shall give you two examples of relevance which happened to me.

One merchant I joined a year ago. Two months ago finally built a niche website to promote them. Now featured high in the SERPS. Merchant is happy as I emailed them on joining to say I would take my time to list them and promote them properly so don't expect any results for a long time. I run loads of sites and there are only so many hours in the day.

The second example concerns a network. Signed up December 24th 2007. Their automated system threatened to ditch me from the network end of January 2008 if I was not performing. Wrote to them and they rescinded apologising that because I was registered in 2007 and they do an annual check of active affiliates, because I had not generated anything they were automatically ditching me.

Needless to say back on there and listed. Now both sites where I promote for that network and that merchant are on Page 1 of Google and have been since trawled and both sites have attracted the interest of dropshippers offering me dropship retail deals for both niches paying an average 12-25% per product and that includes the merchant who waited a year when his program offers 10% and now he's offering me a 25% dropship deal.

So do not be hasty to ditch affiliates. You may be making a huge mistake. Instead ask them kindly to submit a sample url where you are advertised and after reviewing the link, offer them ways to improve performance.

One final note:

There is on average 1 merchant to every 12 affiliates in the world and 98% of affiliates are slow performers. There are plenty of merchant programs out there for affiliates to promote and the affiliate manager or merchant who blithely assumes that affiliate marketing is the main stay of the business is a poor affiliate manager or merchant. Affiliate marketing should complement existing business models and not be the main source of revenue.

In thinking about this some more - I think affearner may have the type of network that is a sub affiliate. Maybe they broker offers and are the middleman. So they get affiliates who sign up with them, use their creatives - but don't sell anything for them and just go around them to the merchant or top level network directly. If that's the case, I don't have any experience that that type of sub network so don't know what to tell you.

Thanks for the information John. I guess you've said it all.

Linda, I'm sorry for the confusion. I re-checked emails from my boss and it was an affiliate from China and is now in our fraud alert.

For some reason there really is LOTS of affiliate fraud that comes from China.

Not sure if you heard my story but a big Chinese fraud ring stole my identity and applied to TONS of networks pretending to be Linda Buquet from 5 Star. Used my home address, phone number and everything. Then started making fraudulent sales and racked up a ton of money in my name. It was awful. Some merchants that didn't know me thought I was the fraudster. ME! :mad:

Long story short tried to get FBI involved since it was also a case of international mail fraud. They were collecting checks in a bunch of people's names at mail centers all over the US that would then forward all their checks to China. FBI would not do anything. It's a big long story and off-topic for this positive thread about how to keep affiliates happy. :eek:

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that Linda. But some time ago we received an email from an affiliate asking for their commission for a huge sale they made. Although I haven't had any updat about this incident but it almost cost me my job since I'm the one handling affiliate applications and other affiliate services.

Right now, every time I receive an application coming from China and India I immediately decline it. I pity those who are serious and honest but what can I do? If you were in my place, will you also do the same thing?

It's an old post, but I'm just wondering how many of the Affiliate Mangers have actually an affiliate account into their own system and try to do a little affiliate marketing to see how this feels from the other side of the fence?

I used to do it a lot when a few years ago, I used to open an account and see how account managers treat me as a client.
but I'm afraid I don't have the time to do it anymore... :D

I think that keeping up with technology is important. Keep you pages looking fersh and change them everybody like to look at something new and it keeps people coming back to see what you have done.

I think I went a little to far by asking if Managers should be affiliates in their own systems, because the actual question should have been: can you be a good affiliate manager without being an affiliate marketer before?

Cristian - how one could become an affiliate manager if he hasn't been an affiliate in the past? :)

I love the post! Keeping up with technology is very important! That is why it is good to have affiliate managers that are young and fresh when it comes to that kind of stuff.

In our network, I have found that offering free training and education on many different internet marketing techniques helps motivate our affiliates and in turn helps them generate more revenue.

We offer video, text, and audio versions of the trainings so our affiliates can choose which method they like best.

Anything that you can do to create value for your affiliates will be beneficial for your program!

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that Linda. But some time ago we received an email from an affiliate asking for their commission for a huge sale they made. Although I haven't had any updat about this incident but it almost cost me my job since I'm the one handling affiliate applications and other affiliate services.

Right now, every time I receive an application coming from China and India I immediately decline it. I pity those who are serious and honest but what can I do? If you were in my place, will you also do the same thing?

Wow! I just upgraded our systems where we can offer an affiliate program about 2 weeks. I've had some interest but nobody has signed up to be an affiliate yet. So I was searching for ideas for merchants and stumbled here. I'm glad I read this post because I didn't realize how much fraud that is out there. We do have issues with those countries for other reason but I didn't even think about our affiliate program being a target as well. I just made sure our systems don't "Auto Approve" affiliates. I'm thinking that is not such a good idea.

I am glad I found such a great website. Very useful information! I have a lot of reading to do! From what I'm gathering after reading here...I have just 3 banners available and no RSS feed, I need to implement feeds and product links.

Thanks for the great site Linda and all the valuable information!. I have lots of homework to do now.

I am in charge of promoting a Affiliate Program now. But the outcome is not so acceptable although our products are really easy-selling.
Your insight may be helpful!
Thanks!

Every time I come in here to spend some quality time and read one of your posts its time well spent. Thanks for the insight..

It is the same to me! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will keep in mind 2 things: communicate with your affiliates and when you send them an email, remember it must remain a win win situation. Thank you for that great info!

This was a great article. With day-to-day affiliate management responsibilities, it's easy to lose track of such important principles. Thank you much Linda!

MI
Back