The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

The lost newbie

fleabag

affiliate
hey everyone,

i got some questions for you.
I have an affiliate site with lots of content and good stuff. i have advertised it through every means i could think of, i have submitted it to search engines that have given me slightly better then average rankings and it is registed to countless traffic generators and rotators but i am still only getting about 300 hits a month. bummer.

over the past 3 months i have had 2 sales ! this has proven to be quite a disallusionment.

I have been toying with the idea of buying traffic from a pop under company.

am i right in looking at it like as you were telemarketing ? you know, it doesnt matter what your product is or how you present it because odds have it that if you put it infront of enough people, there will be someone that will buy.

I hear gurus say it all the time, that only about 1 in 100 visiters to your site will buy. So if you pay for 100,000 unique visiters per month, well thats 1000 sales ( on average ). Now that sounds pretty good to me with the pityful results i have achieved so far........or am i oversimplifing it all ?, even 1 in 1000 would be good. That would be 50 times better then what i am getting now.

I would loooove some feedback on this as i am really getting disheartened with it all, even though i know for a fact there are people out there making a killing in affiliate marketing.

Hi fleabag,

1st of all what type of product are you trying to sell and what is your niche?

Next, don't buy popunder traffic. It doesn't convert. Converting 1 out of every 50 or 100 visitors is when you have TARGETED traffic. If you have traffic that isn't looking at all for what you offer and gets ticked at the pop and just wants to bail conversions are practically 0.

I can almost guess your niche and assume you have possibly been lead astray a couple times as well. Take a deep breath, slow down, read all the stickies in our newbie forum and then the niche forum. Then let's see what direction you want to go and see if we can help you start generating more traffic and sales.

Fleabag, Don't be disheartened

You need to look at things a little differently.

The fact that you managed two sales means you know how to make money with your site. Now you just have to figure out why they bought from you and escalate that

I personally have never bought traffic and from what I have read in forums and such, buying traffic may not be the best of ideas

Focus on getting traffic from the search engines and social networking sites. That type of traffic converts better

Good luck and keep at it.

Are the keywords you are focusing on buying Keywords? And not something a person could get for free or just up information on? For example, you could be doing an affiliate site on bit torrent snoring information. But bit torrent's are free downloads. No one will buy from that. But if your keyword was build around something, such as anti snoring devices then you are on to something. That keyword is something someone is looking for. Things such as woodworking plans. You could try to be an affiliate of those but most people can find decent plans online for free. .Check to see if your product and niche is something people could get free. If so, move on and focus on a buying keyword.

I agree, its all about keywords. I try to use what I heard called the 20/20 rule. Start by searching Yahoo answers and see what people are asking. People put questions there because maybe they cant find the answers. Now once you got some ideas, use google's keyword tool. Look for some a keyword or phrase that gets atleast 200 searches a month. It may not sound like much, but its targeted traffic. Now take that keyword or phrase and punch into google. Look to see if it has 200,000 results or fewer.
If you are lucky enough to do this, you can easily get to the top of google searches with some backlinks and the such. Next try to get a domain name that is that exact keyword.

I have a website that after 2 weeks is on page 6 of google search. I have only done a couple backlinks. The keyword get 673,000 searches a month and there are only 203,000 search results.

hi
for me, I prefer quality than quantity
It will be great for me if I have 100 people (who love gardening ) visit my website rather than 1000 general people. ^_^

I once bought 10,000 visitors from a pop-under company and had 0 results, nada. And I have an opt-in form on my website that converts pretty well and no one subscribed! What a waste of money.

Forget it, do article marketing, good keyword research, and drive targeted traffic to your website. :)

Cheers,
Louise

Yep... Quality of traffic reigns supreme... perhaps use your money/resources to build out a high quality link profile rather than looking for short term solutions?

I guess it depends on the competition in your niche... you could also have a squeeze page which asks for their email address, you send them some free stuff and then promote multiple affiliate offers over the course of a few weeks... this would probably give you a better ROI than just promoting one product to one visitor as a once off

Well regarding buying of traffic, i have some experience to share. I sell bulk traffic. I tried my own
traffic on my own sites with a small sample of like 5000, but i never get any sales. Ads clicks are also
disappointing. So i always feel pop under traffics or bulk traffic is useless. Having said that, for some
reason, i always have return customers buying alot of traffic month after month. They buy like 100k
to 200k traffic at one go. That leads me to think, why they want to do that when the traffic is not
targetted? The only conclusion i can get is perhaps if the number is huge like traditional sales where
you market to a large number of people, sales will come. I can only imagine that the sales that result
for my customers is enough to make them want to buy again.

I for one will not buy pop under traffic for my own products though. I prefer more targetted traffic
from search engine or advertising on same niche where i am in.

I've only started my site about 3 weeks ago, but my experience so far is that the visitors I get from ad exchanges tend to stay only a few seconds before leaving. I have a feeling that popunder ads would probably generate the same kind of traffic.

I started writing a few articles and I it looks like people that come to my site from those links tend to stay about 4-5 minutes and see a few more pages. I'm new to this, but I feel like that's more quality traffic. I've had about 1 conversion, but I seem to get a lot of clickthroughs, so I think I'm generating interest. I probably get about 20 uniques a day, so traffic wise we are about the same.

These are just some of my observations. Hopefully they are helpful to you.

Try not to let that stop you! :) There are always new things you can try. Don't do things the way everyone else does, because your product is unique. Use social networking sites, create a site promoting it, create a blog? Add tons of friends on various sites and advertise there.. go to forums and put the link in your signature. Things like these have all helped me and many others. Just a thought.

Thinking outside the box has helped me the most. Make money in a way that you like to. Think of ways you would like to find out about your product. Think as if you're the buyer..

banners
Back