The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Is this reasonable?

AffableAffiliate

affiliate
Hi, I was toying with the idea of affiliate marketing. My strategy would be to do a lot of keyword research, buy a related domain, write a page or 2 of optimized content and then just promote the keywords until I rank #1. I would pick relatively low competition keywords so I'm sure I can rank highly after continuously building backlinks for a month or so with keyword rich content.

After that, I was thinking I would just let the natural Google Traffic take over and add small tweaks/link building as I see fit. My goal is only to gross like 100-200 dollars a month (probably 0ish the first few months).

I figure I'd focus on a highly optimize front page and then a separate page for email capture that will provide free software/programs etc that I'd switch every month. Is this reasonable or feasible? I know a bit about SEO but I know next to nothing about affiliate marketing. I was thinking about going the blog route, but I am looking for a relatively large up front time cost getting going then very little upkeep down the road. I'd hopefully only do like 5 link backs a day once I hit a high ranking.

Sounds like a decent plan.

One of keys is picking the right niche to start off with. Low competition for your 1st one, but have to be sure it's one that can be monetized or would have relevant products people would want to buy.

Check out some of the stickies in our niche marketing forum before going too far. Think they might help.

Sounds like a decent plan.

One of keys is picking the right niche to start off with. Low competition for your 1st one, but have to be sure it's one that can be monetized or would have relevant products people would want to buy.

Check out some of the stickies in our niche marketing forum before going too far. Think they might help.
Yes. My plan is to do a lot of research on the niche/keywords. I was going to try to build an email list by offering some free open source program. Then, I was just going to blog comment maybe a bit of article directories. I figure that 5 link backs a day will add up and it can be done in around 10 minutes.

I'm probably not going to pursue this for a few months, I just want to get some feedback and do a bit of research. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi, I was toying with the idea of affiliate marketing. My strategy would be to do a lot of keyword research, buy a related domain, write a page or 2 of optimized content and then just promote the keywords until I rank #1. I would pick relatively low competition keywords so I'm sure I can rank highly after continuously building backlinks for a month or so with keyword rich content.

After that, I was thinking I would just let the natural Google Traffic take over and add small tweaks/link building as I see fit. My goal is only to gross like 100-200 dollars a month (probably 0ish the first few months).

I figure I'd focus on a highly optimize front page and then a separate page for email capture that will provide free software/programs etc that I'd switch every month. Is this reasonable or feasible? I know a bit about SEO but I know next to nothing about affiliate marketing. I was thinking about going the blog route, but I am looking for a relatively large up front time cost getting going then very little upkeep down the road. I'd hopefully only do like 5 link backs a day once I hit a high ranking.

You sound like you know your way around :) I wish all my students when they start out had as good a grasp and plan as you've worked out!

I don't want to distract you from your plan, but I have a couple of suggestions - intended to put money in your pocket quicker than SEO (which, even with low competition keywords can take some time to rank high enough to bring you decent traffic/sales in). Why not:

1) Initially, just direct (affiliate) link to a vendors sales page of a high converting offer and place your ads, or the vendors supplied banners, anywhere that gets decent traffic that relates to your offer. In other words grab a bit of other people's traffic until yours builds up.

2) Find affiliate offers in what I call 'hair on fire' niches. Niches where there is a high motivation to buy RIGHT NOW! Offers that take away people's pain, or acute embarrassment.

BTW. Seo is becoming more and more complicated post Panda/Farmer and the goal posts are still shifting. I wish it was as easy still as 'write a page or 2 of optimized content' but it's not. Same with the old way of 'build lots of links and you'll rank high' Times are a changing as they say.

You sound like you know your way around :) I wish all my students when they start out had as good a grasp and plan as you've worked out!

I don't want to distract you from your plan, but I have a couple of suggestions - intended to put money in your pocket quicker than SEO (which, even with low competition keywords can take some time to rank high enough to bring you decent traffic/sales in). Why not:

1) Initially, just direct (affiliate) link to a vendors sales page of a high converting offer and place your ads, or the vendors supplied banners, anywhere that gets decent traffic that relates to your offer. In other words grab a bit of other people's traffic until yours builds up.

2) Find affiliate offers in what I call 'hair on fire' niches. Niches where there is a high motivation to buy RIGHT NOW! Offers that take away people's pain, or acute embarrassment.

BTW. Seo is becoming more and more complicated post Panda/Farmer and the goal posts are still shifting. I wish it was as easy still as 'write a page or 2 of optimized content' but it's not. Same with the old way of 'build lots of links and you'll rank high' Times are a changing as they say.

You're giving me far too much credit, but I appreciate your kind words. I don't really understand point number 1. Are you saying I should purchase ad space for my affiliate banner on high traffic sites or should I make my own banner and bring it to my site and then try to get them to go to the affiliate site? Can you please clarify this to me, I know a bit of SEO but I know next to knowing about affiliate marketing.

2. That makes sense. As an affiliate marketer, I assumed like long term decisions wouldn't be very beneficial for me as after doing a bit of research they'd probably just buy it from directly from the site.

3. I think I can compete fairly successfully with a highly optimized page and plenty of linkbacks for low competition keywords. If I am successful and can spend more time, I would expand to social media/blogs/video campaigns; however, I don't think that's a feasible option right now.

I haven't really had a chance to do as much research into it as I would like to yet, but I'm hoping tonight I can read a few guides/tips. I appreciate all of the help you guys are giving me.

You're giving me far too much credit, but I appreciate your kind words. I don't really understand point number 1. Are you saying I should purchase ad space for my affiliate banner on high traffic sites or should I make my own banner and bring it to my site and then try to get them to go to the affiliate site? Can you please clarify this to me, I know a bit of SEO but I know next to knowing about affiliate marketing.

2. That makes sense. As an affiliate marketer, I assumed like long term decisions wouldn't be very beneficial for me as after doing a bit of research they'd probably just buy it from directly from the site.

3. I think I can compete fairly successfully with a highly optimized page and plenty of linkbacks for low competition keywords. If I am successful and can spend more time, I would expand to social media/blogs/video campaigns; however, I don't think that's a feasible option right now.

I haven't really had a chance to do as much research into it as I would like to yet, but I'm hoping tonight I can read a few guides/tips. I appreciate all of the help you guys are giving me.

Under the forum rules I can't give you a link to my affiliate training blog so instead I suggest you do a google search for all the following ways to get yourself in front of potential buyers:

Paid Methods:
PPC - Pay Per Click
CPA - Cost Per Action
CPV - Cost Per View
Media Buys

Free/Low Cost:
Solo Ads
Safelists

I'm considered to be something of an expert on Solo Ads and Safelists (they were the way I originally earned the means to 'retire' to my home office) but have used all of the paid methods above too - they are faster but have a higher degree of financial risk until you overcome the learning curve.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey my friend...

That sounds like a great idea. Some affiliates make tons with blogging. For your page to rank well you would also need to add at least one piece of fresh content every other day.

It is well known that big old google are ranking on the word natural ans well as traditional techniques. I dont mean the actual word ofcourse :)

I mean if your traffic looks natural and steady, your post updates are natural and steady and your SEO efforts are naturaland steady you will soon climb the ever growing prangs of the search engine giant.

The way you explained it though brother is exactly how other big marketers run there blogs. Just make sure your content is awesome so it attracts a real tribe of followers.

Good luck my friend

Kindets regards Louis Doughty

Good plan. Sounds easy enough, however, it is never that easy. Ensure you get a keyword rich domain name, if you want to rank faster. Getting to page one (and staying there) can take a while no matter how low the competition. SEO is not as straight forward post Panda, if your content is quality and your onsite SEO is good then you should be able to grow organic traffic. Best of luck with it.

MI
Back