The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Handcoded directory - Your openion

temi

affiliate
Its far easier for one to use a script to create a directory but I bought a handcoded directory a year or so ago that I meant to convert to script based but never got round to it. This directory had a completely different characteristics from my script based directories and I am actually thinking of starting another hand coded directory.

Anyone else with a handcoded directory?

Welcome to UK WW zillionmax, you don't seem to get the point behind this post, the idea is not to use any scipt, be it the two famous script or PHPLYNX but to creat a directory that you create with your own hands.

I was thinking to go back to basics and to make a directory the old fashioned way, just html, page by page...lucky me I'm so lazy sometimes.

Coming back to your question...Temi, a script is a script no matter how you'll work the features and other stuff around

To tell you the truth I don't really see any benefit in coding directory manually. The point of the script is to help you organize data sertain way and easy to retrieve it.

With little bit of effort you can modify structure to fit your exact needs.

What is the exact goal you are after with manually coded directory?

What is the exact goal you are after with manually coded directory?

Maybe the option of adding content if needed and to remove the impression of a link farm, the option of organising the site "old style", and old style that it is still working for directories even today.

I can't say I own such a directory, but I understant why Temi is asking this question :)

Complete uniqueness without search engines or users knowing that this is a PHPLD directory or an eSyndicat directory when they visit your site.

There are aspects of each directory script you just cannot modify or customise to erase its identity completely.

UK One Way is handcoded.

It allows you to chop and change things the way you like it but can be alot of work!

Would I start another handcoded directory - yes. However, it would have to offer less than what UK One does offers now.

Hence the submission price!

I think handcoding a web directory can be pretty good, although as many of you mentioned it can take a lot of work and time to get it ready. If you are a lazy webmaster, you shouldn't do it :)

In my opinion, uniqueness of a directory comes from category structure, and directory listings, not from what kinda backend it's using.

One benefit of using a script-based directory is to facilitate user submissions and at the same time deal with spams, especially as the directory gets bigger. Not sure what benefit hand-coded directories can provide.

Hand coded deals with spam even better, its goes straight into you spam box, because you add it manually, you just don't add spam.
There were occasion when Google targets certain script for PR0, if you have a hand coded directory, your directory will escape this as it will not be identified as any script by Google crawler

Hand coded deals with spam even better, its goes straight into you spam box, because you add it manually, you just don't add spam.
There were occasion when Google targets certain script for PR0, if you have a hand coded directory, your directory will escape this as it will not be identified as any script by Google crawler

Exactly what I think. I believe scripts can be identified, even though some try very hard to avoid being identified. Hand Coded or Custom Scripts are probably the best choice.

I am right behind hand coded directories. Code it by hand, manage it by hand and only select valuable submissions. That's the key to a truly useful directory. That and you don't leave any 'footprints' for Google and co to pick up on and rank down accordingly.

MI
Back