The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Finding the elusive Do-Follow

amichael

affiliate
Well, I've been having trouble ranking for my main keyword and I finally realized what the issue is. The backlinks that I have acquired since I created my site turned out to be no-follow. I've been checking several blog directories for "do-follow" and it always turns out that these sites are no longer do-follow. I'm thinking maybe i'm not checking out the proper blog lists, and I'm wondering if there's anything you guys could suggest to make this process easier of finding do-follow blogs.

Also, even if I come across some no-follow's would it, from your experience, be a waste of time commenting frequently on said blogs and maybe with time the blog owner might allow backlinks to my page? Just a thought. Let me know what you guys think.

In terms of finding sites that allow do-follow, I also have a similar issue - sites that were once do-follow no longer are. As far as still placing links with these sites, they will benefit you if they have a high PR. Not in terms of Google rankings of course, but in terms of actual traffic. Say for example you sell gym equipment. If you place your no-follow link in relevant message boards and blogs where actual readers who may be interested in your product lurk, this could be huge in terms of sales.

Yes, that makes sense. But search engine traffic is the most steady and consistent, and I've yet to rank at ALL for my main keyword, so it's just a tad frustrating. I suppose for now going to active forums will be a good way to get some traffic though, but there has to be some way to rank for these keywords that don't involve strictly dofollow backlinks.

At first the only way to know whether the forum or other sourse is do-follow is to chech it manually or with the program like seoquake, and the second I receive good traffic from no-follow forums because they are popular but maybe I am just lucky ) all the same no-follow blogs are not wasting of time I bet.

There is an adding for firefox that highlights all no follow links and shows all do follow links as regular links. Highly recommend downloading this adding it will help you like you wouldn't believe - makes seo amlot easier on yourself.

But a mistake that a lot of people make with this adding in my opinion is that they will ignore all no follows. Links don't just build juice for your site they also give traffic so don't get in the habit of ignoring aol no follows - some no follows can be better than do follows in the long run - just use your brain when it comes to it.

Blog commenting is the worst kind of backlink to get.

Matt Cutts had a video out about this time last year, and google gave blog comments a big SEO slap in the face, because there are so many pieces of software that go out and spam blogs.

If you're wantint to get your sites ranked, you should focus on writing articles and submitting them to article directories and web 2.0 sites.

I don't think my post count is high enough to post a link...so do this...

Do a Google search for: Top Article Directories

The first result (at least for me) should be something with the title of ... List Of Top 50 Article Directories By Traffic, PageRank

Visit that site, it's a list of the best article directories and web 2.0 sites like squidoo and hubpages. It also tells you if each site is a follow or no follow site.

Blog commenting is the worst kind of backlink to get.

Matt Cutts had a video out about this time last year, and google gave blog comments a big SEO slap in the face, because there are so many pieces of software that go out and spam blogs.

If you're wantint to get your sites ranked, you should focus on writing articles and submitting them to article directories and web 2.0 sites..

Then again, the Farmer update just gave a big slap to article directories. Does that change your strategy?

I've been combining acquiring do-follow blogs along with ezine article writing and getting backlinks from there. It seems to be working out well for me so far (knocks on wood). Over the last week I've seen my site jump from page 20 on the search results for my keyword all the way to 7 and rising.

I don't think any one method will guarantee anything for certain as there is no 100% certainty in how google specifically goes about ranking sites. So, I'm just making sure to put in effort in a little bit of everything. I'm consistently updating the blog with keyword rich articles and valuable content, acquiring backlinks trough blog commenting/article writing, and done all the meta-tagging on my site.

Then again, the Farmer update just gave a big slap to article directories. Does that change your strategy?

The update wasn't to devalue their links, it was to remove "the junk".

Whatever that means... we may never know.

I've seen serp increases in all my sites since the update, and article marketing is one of my main backlink strategies, like most people.

I used to offer comment backlinks as a service, and for a few months it did well, even boosted serp position for clients, and I had return customers. Then it just "wasn't working" any more.

Out came the Matt Cutts video describing the update to devalue blog comment link strength.

I still do blog comments, but I use them in a different manner... posting on high traffic blogs to get traffic.

I'm not saying don't blog comment, I'm just saying that by themself, they're one of the least powerful links that you can get, so it's not really worth chasing them down.

You'd be better off doing videos, pdf sharing, profile backlinks or any other kind of backlinking. Simply because it yeilds better results for the time you put in vs a blog comment. (for seo purposes)

Are any of the list that you see showing do-follow any good? I've seen quite a few stating that they can provide you with do-follow forums etc but never know if they are worth using.

I've been commenting on different blogs but If I really want to produce solid back links id go for web 2.0 Posting and article marketing. Worth the time in having potential clients than by commenting.

Video Marketing also works for me!

I've mentioned it before on this forum that I think it's healthy to have a proportionate amount of both do follow and no follow links. Reason being that if you have all or a majority do follow links it doesn't exactly look natural to the search engines and the search engines want natural. My opinion at least

I don't know what type of website you have but you might offer to be a guest blogger on someone's website or blog or offer to write an article for a website that might be related to your niche...just a thought...

If you are still interested in finding do-follow blogs after this here is a strategy...

Simply look at the backlink profile for competitors in your niche using a service like yahoo site explorer and visit the links that are from blogs. Then you can see normally find the do-follow blogs that others are using to gain a marginal boost.

I'm glad this was mentioned. I posted on this very issue of article directories and Google's recent Farmer/Panda algo update on another popular SEO forum. Ezinearticles and the rest of those big article directories/duplicate content farms have now become marked for SEO death. You're better off writing good content on your own site and creating some good enough to serve as linkbait.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it really possible to get traffic through blog commenting i always thought the only real value they provide is backlinks but if they dont even do that well anymore..

banners
Back