The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Duplicate Content: It's Not What You Think!

Laura:

It was taught to me that Duplicate Content is when the same content is on the same website.

Say you post an article on Ezine. Then you can go and put that same article on another site, but not on Ezine.

You could have one of the Bookmark Sites pick it up.

Laura:

It was taught to me that Duplicate Content is when the same content is on the same website.

Say you post an article on Ezine. Then you can go and put that same article on another site, but not on Ezine.

You could have one of the Bookmark Sites pick it up.

You said it yourself..duplicate content is when content is on the same website more than once....ezine and "ANOTHER SITE" arent the same websites. If I copied an article I just put on my website...and put it somewhere else on my website..it would be duplicate content

Wheter it is on the same website or on two or more separate websites is irrelevant. Duplicate content is exactly the same content existing at more than one URL.

That said, people spend far too much time worrying about this (non-) issue.

Not at all. There are several ways to get duplicate content. This thread, for example, could exist at any one of 4 different URLs - that would be duplicate content, except that Linda has a utility installed that removes most of the duplicate URLs.

If someone were to copy this thread and post it somewhere else, that would also be duplicate content.

If Linda were to start a second forum and copy this thread to the database for that other forum, that would also be duplicate content.

The bottom line is that there are some advantages to minimizing duplicate content but there is also no need to get paranoid about it - there are no duplicate content penalties and there are far more important issues for webmasters to be focusing on.

Look at the signature links in a forum like 5 Star, and notice how many individuals with web sites have not grasped even basic concepts like the importance of anchor text in links to your pages. Worry about things that matter to search engine ranking and traffic, not about mostly theoretical issues like duplicate content.

I would really like to cease this forum. I will operate the way I have been operating and you can go on doing what you are doing. Ok.

Take care, no hard feelings?

Well We are just here to help. Everyone stresses about duplicate content..but in actuality if google really penalized for that then so many sites would be non existent it wouldnt even be funny.

Thanks, basically, after a couple of days of testing, spider visits it did no harm.
The reason I asked was that the content of the PR and the articles were similar to the posts on the blog.
Now, here's the deal.
The collection of my Press Releases does give me credibility.
The code only quotes the titles that are different from my post titles
and the first few sentences.
Therefore there is no chance of duplicate content.
Thanks guys, I think I was being over cautious.
Therefore it was a win-win situation, as my keywords are in the post
and I have a new, KW-rich, smart looking page.

Actually, I like this forum and that's why I am here, to ask questions if I am not sure of something.

The key to success is to admit that other people might know something better than you....

If I never asked for help I's have a crappy WP blog on page -999 of Google :)

Thanks guys!

Laura

Yeah no problem. What I've realized is that created good, quality content is always the best thing to do in every instance. Sure google doesnt penalize for putting one article on hundreds of websites but heres what i figured out.
If you go to google alerts after posting a really good article on a site like ezine and put an alert for that articles title and whatever else will get you a unique alert. Then it will show you what websites put your content on theirs. If these websites are high quality high PR sites..then message them and say hey look I can make an even better article about the same thing.
Then its a win win! You have unique content on more than one site..and google will index both sites. Its not all about backlinks, its about good content that you want people to read..

I'm so glad I read this! I never thought of it that way. I've been marketing online for over a year now, and MAN do I have a lot to learn!! It's hard working online because the only things you learn are from forums, and people who do the same work as you. On the job training is a bit hard!! Anyone else agree?

Good suggestion. Dan Thies has been around in the SEO world for a long time and he definitely knows whereof he speaks.

The misconception about duplicate content can be quite confusing for a lot of new SEOs. Thanks for making time to test and prove this concept. This clears up a lot of things.

I think its far better to have unique content, regardless of the many ways you can get around the duplicate content penalty. Even a simple article spinner can help you rewrite your article and provide 100's of (in Google's eyes) completely unique content. Sure it takes an extra 20-30 mins to write out the sentences for the spin, but you get 100's of unique articles that you can distribute for that time. Of course, your various articles will have basically the same meaning and story. However, it will benefit your website far more.

@jcorken - excellent post. That's probably one of the most comprehensive articles I've seen on the duplicate content topic. Kudos to you.

This may seem a simple question to some, but I would appreciate some feedback. For one of my sites, our prospective customers sometimes search for our main keyword in combination with their state name. For example, Kansas Consultant. So, can we have a page for each state, with basically the same information listed on each page? I have created these pages and changed the focused cities and images. Is this allowed or does there need to be a certain percentage of each of the 50 pages that is vastly different?

Thanks for your help.

You will need pretty unique content for each state page, Each page may still say the same thing, they just have to be completely different in styles and the wording of the content.

It will be worth the effort.

banners
Back