propellerads adcombo
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Basic Search Engine Optimisation Tips

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimisation' started by temi, Apr 23, 2007.

1. temi

temi Facilitator affiliate

I have been asked to take a look at about two sites today and give basic Search Engine Optimisation Tips. I though a post giving top ten optimisation tips will be useful..... Other experienced SEO consultants are welcomed to add their suggestions:

1. Use Meta tags correctly; here is a basic skeleton of the minimum aspect of meta tags you should complete:

Title:
    Description:
    Keywords:
    1a. Ensure you use the main keywords you are targeting in all three aspects of the Meta tags.

2. Right at the beginning of your page, as soon as possible use the keywords you are targeting again using tag, lets you are targeting the word "forums" try something like this:
    Forums by Temi are the best damn forum on the net
    3. The two sites I had a look at today, use image navigation, this is not bad BUT if your navigation is text based, its even better.
    If you must use image-based navigation use Alt Attribute rather than alt tag, if you use images then adding the alt attribute is a waste of time (from an SEO point of view but not a usability one), unless the image is a link. If the image is a link then the alt attr text becomes the anchor text. (Thanks to OWG for correcting this).
    use alt tags to optimise each navigation item.
    4. Use the keywords you are targeting "Naturally" in your text, do NOT over use it.
    5. Try and valid you HTML tags and eliminate any errors
    6. Have a site map, list all the pages on your site on the site map and have a direct link to the site map from the homepage.
    7. Have a link to all your important pages and sub folders from the navigation menu.
    8. Have a robots.txt file in on your site and edit it correctly.
    9. Crate a favicon for your site (FF expects a favicon, if you do not have a favicon you will see error lot to that effect when FF users access your website.
    10. Test your website for accessibility (there is an EU law that makes basic accessibility part of website this day, in addition to complying with that law, there are basic SEO brownie points to be gain from using alt tag etc correctly.

2. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Affiliate affiliate

Thanks for these tips temi. Is the large text deliberate?

2 people like this.
  3. temi

Not all of it, I forgot to terminate the

<h> tag, its done now .

4. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy Affiliate affiliate

Temi, can I add that it is the Alt Attribute rather than alt tag, and also that if you use images then adding the alt attribute is a waste of time (from an SEO point of view but not a useability one), unless the image is a link. If the image is a link then the alt attr text becomes the anchor text.

2 people like this.
  5. temi

Cheers James,
    I have incorporated you suggestion.

6. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Affiliate affiliate

Question: The image on my page is made up of many small graphics, If i give them all the same alt tag would that be considered keyword spamming?

2 people like this.
  7. UK WW ex member

UK WW ex member Affiliate affiliate

good question.

make it natural , be conservative . You know alt is to describe the imag

if you have 100 small images , for instance, IMO having same keyword may be suspicious to SEs. So if you use other keywords you will be in safe side I feel.

2 people like this.
  8. LinkHunter

LinkHunter Affiliate affiliate

Absolutely correct!! I do believe that the SERPS are changing many methods of SEO concerning images and videos as we speak though to dress up their search pages!!

Galleries are great things to incorpaorate in your site for instance, to promote keywords!! (GalleryMenalto) is the best that I have seen so far and its free!

2 people like this.
  9. OldDarkstarAccount

OldDarkstarAccount Senior Member affiliate

Temi,

Your list is excellent , but I saw you were only taking in consideration the option of already having the domain name.

If, for example, someone still hasn`t bought the domain, a good thing would be choosing a domain name with at least one keyword incorporated. Of course that any webmaster considers the domain to be as easy to remember for the user as possible but if you think about SEO, it better to use a domain created from two keywords, for example for a website related to football :

www. somename .com is not as good as
    www. football-news .com or www. footballvideo .com

Also you have not mentioned anything about the name of the pages ( I know you know this :) ) , it is better to use some keyword in the name of the pages you create than just naming your page too simple and not related to the subject listed on that page.

Some extra, but this is only my opinion, some tests of mine :
    If you are working on a website owned by a company, but the url of the site is not exactly the name of the company, be sure to add ( if possible ) on each page, the name of this company, a phone number, an email and even the commercial register number. For the website of a company this aspect is very important, because :

- it has happened to me to have to search a company after the commercial register number
    - the name of the company was something like " S.C A great company in Romania S.R.L" and the url of their website to be www. agcr .ro . Its possible that when searching for "great company" you get many other results than the page of this company and that is because companies tend no list their name very much on the page. By adding the name , address, email and commercial register nr you give each page one more chance to turn up in SERPs.

2 people like this.
  10. TheeCommerceConsultant

TheeCommerceConsultant Affiliate affiliate

Title tag in your anchor eg <a href="mypage.html" title="my page"> make the links metas, content and title relavent not just to the page you are on but the destination page aswell.

Not sure I am explaining that well, but lets say you have a link to chocolate frogs but the actual page content you are linking to is pink flamingos that will do you no good.

:confused: ;)

11. elmerpc

elmerpc Affiliate affiliate

Thanks for the excellent tips Temi. I think your list is all about on-page optimisation?

2 people like this.
  12. NickE83

NickE83 Affiliate affiliate

anyone who is serious about being up there in the future should check out SEO 2020 and theme zoom, these guys are SEO scientists.

2 people like this.
  13. johnafrankllin

johnafrankllin Affiliate affiliate

I would like to do some corrections
    Title is not a meta tag

How will you validate the HTML according W3 if you are not using Alt.
    Also if you just put Alt="" to validate the HTML, I think this is what the waste of time.
    Also never forget that the Text in Alt attribute do crawled by search engine spiders. check the cached page's "Cached Text" of any web page. You will find the Text in Alt Tag.
    I'll Say that Alt is a Tag
    reference: <alt>descriptive text goes here</alt>

2 people like this.
  14. camp185

camp185 Affiliate affiliate

Here is a site I like to use to check meta tags. It also has many other great functions.

Meta Tag Analyzer

2 people like this.
  15. kavitakarki

kavitakarki Affiliate affiliate

Hello temi,
    Its Nice posting Thanks for it temi.

2 people like this.
  16. Handsome34

Handsome34 Affiliate affiliate

Thanks Temi but i can't understand the point number 10

whats that?

2 people like this.
  17. cheekyman

cheekyman Affiliate affiliate

Hi There, :D
    After creating websites for a number of years!
    I have found three main factors to be considered:
    Title
    Description
    Image Alt Tags

The Title shows up in the search engine as the main heading of the searched topic.
    Then the Description below should have keywords inserted relating to the main Title.
    Image Alt Tags should always be filled in for Image Banks/Searches your website will show up with the image location.

PDF’s: It’s the Title of the PDF that’s shown in Google, on the search page it might come under another heading.
    Forums are the same: It’s the Title of the thread that appears in the search.
    The tab in the browser shows the Title to each page!
    The way to check is to view the source of the page and you’ll find the Title again relates to the search.
    Regarding keywords: I have never found a search especially in Google based on keywords alone! The keywords appear in the Title every time.
    (I read years ago that Google disregards Meta Keywords and have always found this to be true)
    The “Title & Description” must be inserted into every page relating to the contents of that particular page.

Cheekyman :thumbup:

2 people like this.
  18. John peterr

John peterr Affiliate affiliate

Hi,

Yes you had provided a very good information, i also recommend to the persons who are starting the SEO to go through this post. its really worthful reading your post

2 people like this.
  19. cheekyman

cheekyman Affiliate affiliate

Hi There John,
    If you would like "Even" more great webmaster information
    I have an info website with the "BEST" website builder on the internet.
    I'm afraid you'll have to send me a PM as I cannot post links BUMMER!!
    (SEE BELOW) :applause:

You'll be amazed!! ;)

Cheekyman (Frank)
    frankatwebsitex5dotinfo

2 people like this.
  20. Robdale

Robdale Affiliate affiliate

Simple Tip....

Try to make a search engine friendly design according to the tips given on Google Webmaster Guidelines.

2 people like this.

Featured Resources (View All)

adsxposed