The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

You didn't pay to join an affiliate program, did you?

ETRdahir

I have heard from a handful of affiliates who had mentioned that they had to pay an upfront fee to join an affiliate program. Now I'm not a rocket Scientist here but why would anyone charge you for promoting their products.

Please be careful out there. If you paid to join an affiliate program you probably got taken advantage of. To find an affiliate program in your niche try this:

Go to Google and type in = (the niche you are promoting, for example healthcare) + affiliate and you will see top ranked affiliate programs in that niche. Then just make sure there is no fee to join, if anything the merchant should be paying you to join.

Regards,

I have heard from a handful of affiliates who had mentioned that they had to pay an upfront fee to join an affiliate program. Now I'm not a rocket Scientist here but why would anyone charge you for promoting their products.

Traditional affiliate programs don't charge to join, so anyone that paid, got conned into joining a business opportunity most likely an MLM opportunity. More and more MLM's are calling themselves affiliate programs as a way to try to appear more legitimate.

There are also some private-label affiliate programs that charge but they give you a turnkey web site and other benefits, so it's more like buying a business in a box or that's how they present it anyway.

So like George said, be careful out there and if they are charging to join it's probably not a bonafide affiliate program.

i think it's worth saying also that paying to learn how to make money online can be almost as dodgy ...

there is sooooooooooooo much information in forums like this one and on genuinely helpful websites ... no need to spend hundreds buying ebooks to tell you the exactly same things you could learn for free ... of course, there are occasionally exceptions, but very rarely :d

Also be careful of so called great media buys. When I started as an AM I spent money with PR Web, some banner placements, and directory submissions services and non of them drove any good traffic. The best traffic we have received is from posting on forums like this.

Also be careful of so called great media buys. When I started as an AM I spent money with PR Web, some banner placements, and directory submissions services and non of them drove any good traffic. The best traffic we have received is from posting on forums like this.

Spot on correct. I love this forum, everyone always give some great bone fide advice. As the saying goes if it looks like a duck, quack likes a duck, it probably is a duck. Same goes for if it looks like it's too good to be true!

Right, AM's should pay you to sign up and treat it like contracting to a commissioned sales person. AM's need to know that value of a good affiliate and in today's age I don't think any good affiliate would sign up to an Affiliate Program where they had to pay to join.

Clickbank is a good way to find affiliate programs that are free. Back in the day I paid to join a few affilaite programs. I learned my lesson really fast :) I can't say I like affiliate programs very much though.

Yes I have to agree. Some woman from this merchant account company tried to get me to join this affiliate program where I would have to set up an LLC for a sum + pay her hosting fees as well.....she was obviously targeting newbies who didn't know how to set up their own website. All you need to be is a sole proprieter for aff marketing which doesnt cost a dime + a disclaimer and privacy notice on your website. Took me over half an hr to get her off the phone because I was too polite to hang up.

MI
Back