The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Wow! Google Launching Affiliate Network???

Linda Buquet

affiliate
From the 5 Star Affiliate Blogs

Google Testing CPA Ads for New Affiliate Network

"This news is so hot, I'm not even going to take time to write much commentary. Google just announced they are testing CPA ads through the Adsense network. David Jackson shorts ValueClick stock and proclaims this move as the end of Commission Junction. Jackson was previously a technology research analyst for Morgan Stanley and now is the editor for Seeking Alpha an Internet Stock Blog Network. Click below to see the info Google sent to Adsense publishers with the CPA ad test invite."

Read the rest below - don't want to post duplicate content.

Google Launches CJ Killer
http://affiliate-blogs.5staraffiliateprograms.com/2006/06/21/google-cpa-affiliate-network/

What do you guys think will happen?
How could this change our industry for the better or for the worst???

Last edited by a moderator:
This is gonna be huge due to the large size of Google's affiliate base.

As was said this is going to be huge for AdSense publishers. I also see it really squeezing other affilate programs. To compete they are going to have to squeeze their own profit margins to lower rates for advertisers and increase rates to publishers. I think this is going to revolutionize CPA advertising the way AdSense revolutionized PPC and CPM advertising.

In the short term it will create a ton of virtually identical sites. And I'm sure it will work for a little while, but eventually people will stop clicking the links. As long as Google doesn't show favoritism to these ads then sites with great content that people like to visit will always outpace anything else.

KenMendonca said:
In the short term it will create a ton of virtually identical sites. And I'm sure it will work for a little while, but eventually people will stop clicking the links. As long as Google doesn't show favoritism to these ads then sites with great content that people like to visit will always outpace anything else.
Lets hope this is true. I have always run on the assumption that great content trumps all else in the long run. I'd love to be proven right.

Great Kens think alike. :)

I mean, let's think idealistically for a second. What sites would Google really want to appear at the top of search engine rankings? The sites people visit and use as well as the ones that provide the most relevant information about a keyword. A site that is created, even with the main goal being affiliate commissions, as long as it satisfies those ideals should continue to rank well.

I hope they don't use this as an excuse to become lazy with how they rank sites.

The old adage is "content is king." This was true in the 90s and I think it is still true today. Nothing will make me happier than to see search engines finally become successful at weeding out affiliate only sites that do not even make an attempt at producing original content (e.g. AWS sites). I know a lot here won't like this, but it would make search engine results more valuable to the consumer doing a search. It might also help eliminate all of the scrapper sites that are constantly cropping up for no other purpose than to display advertising without making a legitimate attempt of creating something unique that truly ads value to the web.

I think google know where their bread is buttered - that is search. I don't think they would risk that.

I am actually looking forward to this. A brand like google will bring a lot more merchants into the world of Affiliate marketing. :D

Their bread is actually buttered by advertising. Search just happens to be the primary way of generating places to place ads.

In order to satisfy their shareholders quest for revenue, they must branch out and try new ways of generating ad revenue.

Perhaps then, I should have said search IS their bread. ;)

If their search ceases to produce relevant results that searchers are looking for then they will jump ship, their customer base will dwindle. I don't think they will put that at risk by producing biased search results in their natural listings.

[WHISTLES] This is VERY cool. I CAN'T WAIT FOR this as I find myself moving more into the VRE realm nowadays. I agree with you guys. Google definitely would not jeopardize their title as the numero uno SEARCH engine just to make a little more coin. LOL, I'm actually excited about this and I don't care of you think that's a little geeky. LOL! :D

Much better put. Yes search is the bread upon which Google puts their butter, which is advertising.

And your right Google can not for get how important their natural search is to the rest of their business model. I'm sure they won't neglect it.

Hope you don't mind Linda but I stuck this thread. I am interested in hearing what others think about this move by Google. Especially those that primarily use the large affiliate networks.

Click fraud will die!

Hello All,

First, click fraud will be a thing of the past. No longer will competitors be able to click your advertising budget to death. If merchants are paying per action (sale, lead, etc) then they can set their profit margins in advance with out worry of click fraud.

Click fraud will never die. Plus, I don't think Google is killing adsense. They are just adding this functionality to it. Maybe I'm wrong. But you still won't be able to set it and forget it, so to speak.

KenMendonca said:
Click fraud will never die. Plus, I don't think Google is killing adsense. They are just adding this functionality to it. Maybe I'm wrong. But you still won't be able to set it and forget it, so to speak.
Ken's right on both points. The new CPA option isn't designed to replace content targeted PPC, it is designed to complement PPC. Google realizes that there is a place for "off topic" ads and CPA can fill a niche not addressed by PPC. Also click fraud will never die, we can only hope that Google, Yahoo, etc. are able to gain better control over it and reduce its impact.

banners
Back