Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, its will not be reliable

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

temi

affiliate
A company called purple nova seem to be offering technology that allows you to turn your PC to a web hosting or apps sharing platform

I think its an interesting technology but would you host your website on your home PC?

Hackers, viruses and security considerations are what stop me from hosting my own sites... if purple nova can cover those then I'd think about it (although probably not for long :) )

I wonder if the creator of the application did a market research before developing it. I don't see many people taking this up.

It is cheaper and more reliable to host with a third party.

Hosting at home for testing purposes is ok

I don't see any negative point with hosting web sites at home, there are unpleasant hosts out there, I host my web sites on established web hosts, though I have to admit that crossed my mind once.

Of course, speed is a issue. I don't have to worry, but of course, you couldn't host a web site on a Dialup connection, I'm on a 24 mbps line, should be quite fast. I have a space pc I could set up anytime, though I'll rather pay 30$ a month and go with a webhost company.

Hackers, viruses and security issues? What makes the "hosting computers at webhost companies" any safer? It may not be easy, but you will have to install a secure OS, install firewall and antivirus, and enable your router firewall, as well. I believe you may even have a better security at home, than you have on a web host. Especially if you are on a shared server.

Meti

Its against the tos of most isps. Besides that again most isps have limits on the upline which will mean you can't handle a lot of traffic compared to a proper web server. Most of the time its just easier to get someone else to host it.

Well, you are allowed to check by your ISP. I remember I called my ISP provider for this issue, and they were completly fine, as long as I did not host any illegal content related to adult, warez material or anything else related to that.

Meti

Two main concerns regarding hosting it yourself:

- Can you provide enough bandwidth especially if site gets popular?
- anti virus and anti hacker protection

Two main concerns regarding hosting it yourself:

- Can you provide enough bandwidth especially if site gets popular?
- anti virus and anti hacker protection

I am not quite sure about your 1st point, most ISP's here in Sweden offer an unmetered amount of bandwidth, but I am aware of countries that set certain limits.

As for security, I think I could manage it much better than regular web hosting companies (some of them..), I have quite some experience in the security field.

- Meti

I am in US and also have "unlumited" broadband accounts with two ISp's just in case one goes down. The problem if you try to host a website on a regular account your usage will jump to different level and ISP will instantly flag you.

I like to do most of my design and development stuff directly on remote servers so it takes tons of bandwidth. Many times they put some kind of cup on my connection to slow it down and I had to call and scream to get it back to normal.

I think many ISP's even have it in the service agreement that you are not allowed to host websites using theirs connections.

I think many ISP's even have it in the service agreement that you are not allowed to host websites using theirs connections.

True, there are a few ISP providers that are very strict about this, personally my current ISP has no issues with me hosting web sites as long as they do not contain any undesireable material.

But, considering the cheap hosting fees it is not worth hosting them at your own place.

- Meti

MI
Back