The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Wordpress' closest rival?

Jimmy

SEOTalk Guru
Ask almost anyone, and they will say that wordpress is the best CMS/blog. But I was wondering, what do you guys think is their closest rival?

Well, Wordpress is the best. I think Drupal and Joomla, in terms of CMS software, are also popular, but not widely used or with such great community like Wordpress :)

I don't think Wordpress has a rival, to be honest. It's at the top of it's game, and by being free, nothing can compete with it.

I don't think Wordpress has a rival, to be honest. It's at the top of it's game, and by being free, nothing can compete with it.
As mentioned above, drupal and joomla have to be up there competing with it (though maybe not winning :p )

Years ago I would have said Moveable Type, but they have pretty much fallen off the radar. They were the big shot in town before they started charging for it, PHP took off, and Wordpress came along for free - plus it ran faster and only took 5 minutes to install.

I'm also kind of surprised that B2 never tried to keep up with Wordpress, since Wordpress was based off of it.

I agree that Wordpress doesn't really seem to have a rival. However, I have worked with Joomla in my past, and it reminds me a bit of Wordpress. I feel like most people that can figure out Wordpress could figure out Joomla. I like Wordpress a lot better, though. For one, the amount of add-ons / plugins / themes available completely stomps any competition. Plus, Wordpress' general layout is more intelligent and user friendly. I recommend sticking with Wordpress if you are considering trying about a new blogging platform.

I think wordpress is the best on the market and I also like it the most but I also like Joomla. I used to make websites in Joomla, but nowadays most of my clients ask for wordpress so I don't have much of a choice there :)

From a popularity stand-point, perhaps Blogger would be a competitor with Wordpress. Then again, so would Drupal, Joomla, even some more obscure, custom built content management systems, such as some Ruby on Rails solutions or even Java or PHP solutions.

In terms of functionality, namely, ease of functionality, Wordpress is probably tied with Drupal and Joomla, as it may all boil down to personal preference; what people most like. With all of the premium themes and endless plugins already available to do all of the hard work for you, even when looking to create something other than a blog, I would have to say Wordpress is a notch above the others. There is a wider user base to look for to help to boot. As for the closest rival, I think it's a manner of opinion between the most popular platforms.

As for freebies -- I have to agree with Nymph: Blogger is probably their nearest competitor. But so far as stand-alone software, I'm thinking Joomla, maybe? Both are pretty user friendly and widely available.

Drupal and Joomla can be considered as Wordpress rivals. But the popularity of Wordpress had made it a market leader, and I believe that there won't be a worthwhile competitor to it any time soon! I began using Joomla initially, but then I began using Wordpress and HTML sites extensively for my sites and for my clients' websites.

Geez louise...I can't believe I forgot Blogger. Blogger would definitely be a rival, and it's much more popular than Joomla, I am pretty sure. One service I have recently checked out and was impressed with was Weebly. Might be looking into that option a little more, definitely one to check out.

Although i really like joomla, wordpress is far more popular than the rest of the competition. Personally i don't understand how can wordpress "control" this market since the only major problem of joomla is using a lot of resources from the servers

Well, Wordpress is the best. I think Drupal and Joomla, in terms of CMS software, are also popular, but not widely used or with such great community like Wordpress :)

I would have to agree with you Samuri. Even though some other posters are saying different blogging platforms a lot of Wordpress users use it as a CMS platform and vice versa with Drupal and Joomla as blogging platforms. Also those are the 3 big platforms, the other ones I've seen mentioned have nowhere near the amount of market share as those.

Rivals in what context?
Usage - Wordpress is the leader.
Ease of Use - Wordpress is much easier to upload/install, use (post content)
Add Ons - Wordpress has got millions of plugins and most of them are for free use and can be used to accomplish alost anything
Themes - there are millions of themes available - both free and premium - both normal and responsive.

This definitely leaves their nearest competitors (Joomla, Drupal and maybe many others) miles behind!

Rivals in what context?
Usage - Wordpress is the leader.
Ease of Use - Wordpress is much easier to upload/install, use (post content)
Add Ons - Wordpress has got millions of plugins and most of them are for free use and can be used to accomplish alost anything
Themes - there are millions of themes available - both free and premium - both normal and responsive.

This definitely leaves their nearest competitors (Joomla, Drupal and maybe many others) miles behind!
Very well said, their competitors were left behind.
They have been also developing bbpress in which a lot of developers were already using and already climbing up the forum market and also buddypress which competes with phpfox and social engine for the most used social network script.

I have quite a lot of experience working with CMS software as well as forum software, and I've found that there are many great options out there. It often depends largely on the type of website or blog that is needed.

As far as user friendliness, Wordpress is, without doubt, at the top of the chain. I have used other CMS options such as Drupal and Joomla, and found that they were not nearly as easy to use.

Then again, options such as Joomla or Drupal (Drupal especially) are surprisingly powerful once you figure out how to use them. I once built a file sharing platform (which had very complicated needs) using Drupal, and had I attempted to use any other CMS for my system, I would have not been able to meet my needs nearly as well. I've found that Drupal is a great option when you have very complicated needs because of the way that Drupal is designed. My only complaint with drupal was how resource intensive it was, but then again, I was building a file sharing platform. :p

Either way, I think that Wordpress isn't really rivaled in terms of user friendliness for most purposes. I do think that it has many good alternatives that are more powerful, but as far as having the same interface and easy-to-use tools built in, I have yet to find anything that's any good. :p

SquareSpace is getting popular day by day and I think it would be the closest rival to WordPress in terms of designing and functionality.

I think Joomla or drupal is their most common rivals and they're basically the same in terms of functionality. I still think WordPress has more features for the website with all the plugins and themes. Still all great though.

MI
Back