The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Wordpress as a website/Content Management System?

affiliaterookie2009

affiliate
Hello,

I have just purchased my domain with hostgator hosting, does anyone have a link or any kind of info on where to start from here as far as using WordPress as my website(CMS)?

If I find the info first I will post it for anyone interested in doing the same.

Thanks

It's pretty straightforward. Full instructions at Installing WordPress WordPress Codex

1. Download the WordPress software here: WordPress › Download

2. Uncompress the files into a directory on your hard drive and then upload them to your website via FTP.

3. Set up an empty database using cPanel/phpMyAdmin and write down the name and password for accessing the database.

4. Run the WordPress install file at http://www.example.com/blog/wp-admin/install.php or http://www.example.com/blog/wp-admin/install.php if you want to install it in a subdirectory.

5. Remember to delete the install file after you've finished.

6. Then go to the free WordPress themes site at WordPress › Free WordPress Themes and find one you like. Download it, uncompress the files, and upload the files to /wp-content/themes/{theme-name}. Then select that theme as the default from your control panel.

7. Start writing articles to post.

If you go into Cpanel there is a place where it will automatically install it for you.
Check with your host and they will tell you where to find it and probably have help files or videos.

As far as CMS goes, to push the limits of WordPress to simulate CMS benefits you would need to customize your WordPress theme or build your own theme and custom templates.

Here is an article with some good info to get yourself started exploring the possibilities to push the limits of WordPress.

And for some more interesting WordPress info check out this site.

If you go into Cpanel there is a place where it will automatically install it for you.

Check with your host and they will tell you where to find it and probably have help files or videos.

Trouble Installing WordPress? Try EasyWP Install

Not all hosting companies offer Fantastico, though, and maybe you already signed up on one and can?t change now. For those people there is a new tool called EasyWP Install. It is basically a PHP script that you need to upload to your server and execute by accessing www.yourdomain.com/easywp.php. The script will then download all the WordPress files automatically and put them on your server. After that you will just need to finish the installation by going through the WordPress setup.

make sure to check out al the plug in's and widgets there are some really cool and useful tools that will make your site really stand out.

WP installed, now working on the themes, plug-ins and widgets.

Thanks Linda, I have installed it using Fantastico, using the video tutorials that you've mentioned.

Thanks, Minstrel I am now checking out the themes on the site that you have suggested. I'm working on picking a theme at this very moment. I'll probably be posting soon if I run into any sticking points after I make the choice. I notice there are so many different advantages to each them! Hopefully this decision will be faster than the previous!

MotiveBrendan, the Plug-ins and Widgets are what I'm attempting understand and sort out now, appreciate it!

I'm almost an Affiliate Marketer!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
MI
Back