The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

WordPress and WordPress.com

Teli

affiliate
Yes, they are two different things.

WordPress is the standalone version of WordPress that can be downloaded from the .org website. You can modify this until your heart is content, however, it implies that you do not fear installing software and have a bit of tech savvy to you. (You don't need much, mind you, but some.)

WordPress.com is the platform for hosting your own blog on the WordPress.com servers. When you sign up, you're issued a link similar to yourblog.wordpress.com and you don't need to worry about installing software, maintenance, or upgrades.

There are benefits and pitfalls to both, however, since this is an affiliate forum, I feel it's a safe bet to assume that one of your goals would be to promote an affiliate product. You may want to avoid this on WP.com and set yourself up with WordPress.

The fine folks at WordPress.com don't necessarily like too many commercial endeavours, mainly because they want to keep WP.com clean of splogs. And they do a darn fine job of it too. However, if your blog, highly optimized and monetized, should find itself in their cross-hairs, you may need to kiss it good-bye, along with all the hard work you put into blogging.

So, if you do set up a WP.com site, make sure that it's more of a satellite site. That way, if the info gets nuked, you won't be sobbing for the next 6 months as you try to recover your pages from Google Cache. Also, make sure you stay within the good graces of the WP.com crew and keep your blog clean -- that means, no blatant advertising, no ripping off other people's content, no paid for blog posts, and no text link adverts.

From the above, some people may assume I dislike WP.com, but those some people would be wrong. In fact, I love WP.com and have a couple personal blogs hosted there. Of course, those blogs are well within the WP.com Terms of Service, therefore, it's unlikely that they will be randomly nuked. And if they were, my livelihood is not invested in them. ;)

So, now that you know the difference between WP and WP.com, make your decision wisely and keep your nose clean. Hope you enjoyed this minor public service announcement. :D

Awesome info Teli. Thanks so much for posting. I'm sure lots of newbies
need to better understand the differences.

Oh and very cool that you have a re-direct script now.
Must be one of the projects you've been so busy working on.
Just watched the video. Looks very clean and simple. Congrats!

Thanks Linda,
I've been noticing a lot of confusion lately when people are asking for help with WordPress, but what they really need is help with WordPress.com and it's difficult to offer advice without knowing which one, specifically, is the culprit.

Regarding the link redirect script, that's actually been available for a little while, but so many people asked me to release "to the public" (LOL), that I finally broke down and did it. I even have an upgrade in the works which will add a bit more functionality and I'll also be turning it into a WordPress plugin very soon, too.

Of course, that was only one of the things on my plate and the plate is still piled high. Oh my. By the way, I need to e-mail you shortly (probably tomorrow) regarding one of the changes I'll be making in the next coupla weeks.

~ Teli

Thanks Teli...
Me too was confused before.... :rolleyes:
That I had to research for the answer.. :p
But now, I know the difference huh...

banners
Back