Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Why You Can't Trust Keyword Research

D

djbaxter

Why You Can't Trust Keyword Research
by Stoney deGeyter
May 5, 2009

I'm a big fan of keyword research but I know that the data provided from any keyword research tool has its limitations. For the most part, these tools can only provide you with information on what is being searched. What they can't do is tell you which searches were relevant, which results were quickly discarded in favor of a different or more refined search, or which searches actually provide the visitor with exactly what they are looking for.

...more

Thanks Minstrel,

Just what I needed....More reading and learning? Love those links of yours(bottom). We need to get serious soon.
Drof 13

I would agree also 4x4, but I have found a few experts in my searches that have sounded quite tight on their info.
Drof 13

Can you share your resources? Id be interested in finding a better tracker than the ones Ive been using

Sorry for the delay,

Love to share but it could be something you have already seen. I'm quit new to affiliate marketing and I'm dragging and copying documents to a folder for later review. I have one or two from a niche profile that I have found quite interesting. I need to drill down on them some more but they may help. If you want me to forward, D (4x4), tell me where and how since I'm only a week old here? Talk/write soon.

Drof 13

She isn't allowed to post her email address. If it's something helpful you should just post it here for all to see. (But it can't be an affiliate link or anything you are trying to sell.) Or you can send her a private message via the forum.

You REALLY would not want all the spam email the bots would send you!
Never put your email in a forum. If you need to and it's allowed do it like:
yourname AT mysite DOT com.

To get back on topic, the keyword research tools thing.

They are only an approximation of what is really going on. It's supposed to be a starting point. You cannot just put some keywords in a tool and then base your campaigns on what the tools spit back out at you.

You need to further research your keywords, if that's the route you want to go down.

I stopped doing rigorous keyword research a while ago. Just because I found that content that I put on my sites and blog off the top of my head did much better in the search engines.

But on the rare occasion where I felt compelled to do keyword research, after doing the keyword suggestion tool thing, I run a test with adwords.

It's one certain way of finding out if a keyword converts or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very good information and I have to agree. You can only use the data provided until you can verify weather or not the keywords you are using actually convert or not (at the end of the day that is what it is all about). Right?

Well just keep in mind also that keyword research is an ongoing battle new more profitable keywords always show up so it is sometimes hard to keep up to date unless you are researching your keywords all the time. I try to change keywords that seem to be performing poorly at least once a month or so.

I tend to trust more on Google Adwords External Research Tool because they give a non biased report and more importantly only Google knows how much searches there are.

These tools are nice for a starting point... but I am finding that my brain is the better finishing tool.

As far as newbies go, most keyword tools only go deep. Broad is where everything falls into place.

I have been doing some preliminary research on a niche I plan to tackle in the future. If I simply just used keyword tools it would not give me the extensive keyword list I have to work with now. From a dozen or so to the gross that I have primed for this niche already.

banners
Back