The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Where did my traffic go?

moneymyke

affiliate
I'm having a problem. I have been building my website since November 2012, and I have reached a PR1 with it. Everything was going good my traffic first started at an avg. of 25 to 30 in the month of November. When I reached a PR1 with my site about a month ago my traffic jumped up to about 75 to 90 a day. A few days ago my site traffic spiked up to 200 visits in a day, then the very next day my traffic fell all the way down to 8 visits!!! and for the past few days it's been in the dumps at 5 to 10 visits! I'm wondering what went wrong? Does anyone have any ideas on what happened? I first thought I got sandboxed by google, but that isn't the case because I'm still a PR1. So if anyone can help me out with this I would appreciate it.

thank You,
MoneyMyke

Hi MoneyMyke,

Where does your site rank in Google? When you experienced the spike in traffic, did your rankings improve or were they the same. The page rank of your site does not have a lot to do with the number of visitors that you get. You will not get more or less traffic based solely on that.

You need to know what keywords visitors are using to find your site and where you rank for those keywords. Sounds to me like your site has lost ranking in Google. Find that out and let me know if you have lost ranking or not for your keywords.

Until we speak again,

Fred

Since February , 2011 Google has been updating their SE algorithms and many sites are losing PR and falling down in search results. Just do a search on Google - "Google Panda".

I can't tell exactly what's the real reason. But I suspected that Google's Panda or Penguin update has demoted your site. Based on your 'feelings' in your post, but I could be wrong.

Or maybe your visitors decided to go some other place. Observe your site's traffic in the next few days. It might receive a bigger inbound traffic again.

I had a very similar problem.

this might help you.

Get google analytics onto your site if you dont already, then you can see when and how much the traffic dropped.

Google webmaster tools will show you the avg ranking of your keywords. if there is a large drop in rank for you main ones, then yes that is an SE change perhaps.

With algorithm changes a lot of sites that got hit were ones with grey link practices, there are resources to try and help you manually find these, or you can pay someone to check them out and get rid of the ones that are now black hat.

If you dont think that is the issue, then I suggest you try and upgrade your social media attempts and get some links on niche related sites that have some power. guest blogging etc might be the way to go ---- good luck - we all need it now days!

Did you release a piece of content or did someone promote you socially around the time of the increase in traffic? Could you tell where the extra 200 visitors came from? A lot of times when I see spikes in web traffic it is because someone picked up one of my content pieces and helped promote it a bit.

It would be a good idea to monitor the situation and look closely at what your traffic trends are. We had a really weird situation where one of our writers made a comment on a tech site and it appeared to create something like 600 clicks. Now really, that writer is a Mom working from home, so don't think she conjured up some way to make that happen. However, it caused major upheaval and our site to be down temporarily for the bad practice. Only we still do not know how it happened. :confused: That "era" shows up on the analytics, but we've been doing a lot in our social media campaigns lately so have recovered significantly from the ordeal. So many oddities can occur. It's just a good idea to stay on top of what is happening in reality and keep watching the trends.

banners
Back