The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

What does this mean?

jollyyear

affiliate
Hello,

I am suffering from overloaded information and don't seem to be able to think straight!

What I couldn't decide for my first attempt on affiliate marketing was choosing between WordPress and my own site to start with. Upon my further reading (lots of them on this forum), I thought I would be happy with WordPress. My niche is extremely competitive. To give an edge, I thought I would make it more personal and am naively thinking a Blog type serves its purpose better. The current big players are very formal, impersonal and boring in my opinion.

Then, I just came across this website WordPress Cracks Down On Affiliate Marketing Blogs

I've been reading too much recently and all of a sudden, it's gone all blank. haha.. I am sure and hope it will come back soon but if there is anyone who doesn't mind to fill me in on this particular issue, I would really appreciate it.

I am aware that there could be a similar thread answered somewhere but sometimes I find it easier to understand when the replies are directed to me. Hope you understand and thanks a lot! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi jollyyear,

If you were thinking about Wordpress hosted on your own domain you have nothing to worry about. Google loves Wordpress blogs and that's the way most here do it.

That article is talking about hosted Wordpress. Your blog would look like yourblogname.wordpress.com.
One of the problems with hosting a blog or site with someone else is THEY own it,
control it and can change the rules.

Does that help clarify? Were you thinking about a Wordpress blog on your own site?

Hi, Linda

Thanks a lot for clarifying that for me.

From what I gather, as long as I purchase and have my own domain, then the warning on the above blog is irelevant to me.... No, you were right that I was asking a separate Blog.

May I pick your brain further a bit?

I have my own website of 4 years which I stopped using since October (If only I knew about AM 4 years ago!). And the domain name for that website is not gonna be used again although it's paid for a year. Since hosting is paid for a year as well (which is not cheap!), I could opt to get a new domain name, add it as my main domain and design new contents on the website.

But, I read Blog is more Google friendly and that's one of the main reasons why I would like to start with it. And ideally I would like to concentrate on one thing at a time due to my brain capacity! :eek:

What's your thoughts on this? What would you do?

Thanks for creating this wonderful forum by the way.

Since hosting is paid for a year as well (which is not cheap!), I could opt to get a new domain name, add it as my main domain and design new contents on the website.

But, I read Blog is more Google friendly and that's one of the main reasons why I would like to start with it. And ideally I would like to concentrate on one thing at a time due to my brain capacity! :eek:

What's your thoughts on this? What would you do?

Hi jollyyear, sorry but I don't hear an either/or in your question???

I agree I would start with a blog. You can add static pages with Wordpress too, so you can add an about us page a contact us page that are static too. So you have have the best of both world's, all within the easy interface of WP.

If you have a shared hosting plan through your hosting provider you will be able to register an entirely new domain for the new blog you'd like to build and use your existing hosting plan. This can be a super inexpensive way to go. It sounds like if you're no longer interested in updating your four year old site you should just focus on your new site. Although there can often be a way to turn an older domain that you've "retired" for a while into a profitable site, especially if your site has google page rank and has been indexed nicely.

So anyway I hope I haven't confused you!

Dan

Hi Linda,

Thanks for giving me more info on that. I am now pretty confident of starting a WordPress blog. I've just started reading on 'niche' on the forum. It's just so much to take on! But, I particulary found that forum very practical with plenty of useful links. I thought 'niche' means just too vague to me especially cos I was so convinced that I didn't have the necessary analytical skills. I am not analytical. My attitude is like, 'follow my gut, take the plunge and let's just see where it takes'. I like venturing out new stuff and I do when I am convinced and ready about 80%. The forum helps me geting ready so much!!

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your input. I am not sure what a shared hosting plan is. What I am thinking is starting with Blog and turn my hobby to Blog contents which should be a good and informative source to some people. And a few months down on, I will install a WordPress Blog over to my hosting CPanel.

This is what I have figured out so far.

As to my old website, I built it, using hosting software installed on my laptop about 4 years ago. Once it was built, there was no maintenace work required. Got steady enquiry emails. Sold my products. I had enough people (small niche) to make just enough money. Average unique visitors per day are 41 and average no. of visits per day are 77. In affiliate marketing world, I think this is really small!

The hosting was paid for a year. Not using it may be a waste. But since WordPress is more google friendly, it seems beneficial to start with it....

Not to derail this thread, but are they any free hosted blogs that allow affiliate ads? I wasn't aware until now that free word press blogs (hosted by wordpress) didn't allow affiliate links.

I think blogger does.

But to be clear I don't believe Wordpress is saying, post one tastful affiliate link and get banned. They don't want junky "thin" affiliate blogs just like Google doesn't want 'thin' affiliate sites.

Here is what they specifically say as far as restricted blogs:
Types of Blogs ? WordPress.com

And here are some examples of blogs that are banned from WordPress.com (all of these fall under the general heading of “spam blogs”, or splogs, and will be deleted as soon as we find them or they get reported)…

"Affiliate marketing blogs: Blogs with the primary purpose of driving traffic to affiliate programs and get-rich-quick schemes (”Make six figures from home!!”, “20 easy steps to top profits!!”, etc). To be clear, examples like people writing original book or movie reviews and linking them to Amazon, or people linking to their own products on Etsy do NOT fall into this category."

I would use Blogger. The main reason is that if you ever decide to get your own domain you can set your blog up to point at your domain. So you still create it withing Blogger, with blogger tools - but it shows up at your domain so for example would be: Juliasblog.com instead of Julia's Blog.

How to set up~!

Hello Linda,

I'm trying to set up my wordpress blog. I have already installed it, but how do I set it up, to optimize it. Heard that will be better to change the permalink. Is there any recommended reading material or basic instructions that I can follow?

Thanx

You could avoid this problem all together and have a free standing wordpress blog. That way you can have adsense and actual affiliate links.

MI
Back