The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

What are your thoughts on MyBB forum software?

Beverly38

affiliate
My web hosting company has just started offering MyBB script install as part of the web hosting service. Currently, my forum is on SMF. Just thinking about using MyBB for my next forum, assuming I don't buy Xenforo license.

What's your thoughts on MyBB? Is it worth the time? Are mods hard/easy to install?

I have used MyBB in the past, from a theme designers point of view it isn't the best to design with but mods are very easy to install, something like SMF. IMO it is the best free forum software.

I am huge fan of MyBB board software, as it not only is for free, but very similar to vBulleting, which is one of the top forum softwares on the market. MyBB also has quite a bit of plugins and themes, that are very easy to install and many new entrepreneurs are also preferring MyBB instead of phpBB3. The premium designs for MyBB are also quite cheap, so everyone has a chance of creating an amazing forum.

MyBB is good software, but it has its problems. One of them is sometimes new posts won't show up when you search for them, you have to go through each and every section to find them. I used it for years however.

I don't recommend using it because its forum support staff are immature and overbearing. I was banned permanently for spoiling their April Fools joke earlier this year. They have also repeatedly ignored my bug reports.

MyBB in my opinion is one of the best free forum softwares out there. Both the mods and the themes are very easy to install and there is so much out there when it comes down to themes and mods. I have always said that MyBB is like a free version of vBulletin because they are so alike when it comes to the amount of mods and templates they have to offer.

I've never worked with MyBB but I have a very good friend who runs three forums on MyBB and he says that it has some parts that he doesn't like, but he's used to it and would never change it.

MyBB is very user-friendly and am running my forums only with this software. It is also very similar to vBulletin and let's developers add tons of nice features, via plugins, which are extremely easy to install. All you need to do is upload them ;).

I have used MyBB in the past, from a theme designers point of view it isn't the best to design with but mods are very easy to install, something like SMF. IMO it is the best free forum software.
Personally, I believe phpBB is the best free software. However thats not to say MyBB is great :)

I use MyBB myself just because it was my first choice. But when I first used it, it was pretty easy and straight forward. They don't have the best of the themes to pick from that's for free, but if you just stick with a free theme, earn some revenue first then get a paid theme, they'd look amazing. I've seen some of the paid themes people make, they're really good. But the Mods/Plugins are really easy to install, just drag the folders into your FTP then activate your plugin. Installing MyBB is pretty simple too assuming you already know your hosting account details for this procedure.

As for PhpBB, I haven't used this, but I heard their themes are much better than MyBB, but then their Mods/Plugins aren't that good. That's what I heard, so there are some good and bad points between them, it's just whether you just want a attractive looking site with a good free theme, than installing a lot of plugins - or the other way round.

MyBB has a better administration interface and is less vulnerable to attack than phpBB. And, just mho, but I think myBB is more SEO friendly. Sadly, I think that many more forums are powered by phpBB rather than MyBB, but I have no statistics to support that, it's just what I personally see.

I prefer phpbb to MyBB but that's primarily because, of the free forum options, I cut my teeth on phpbb. I think the software is good, it has it's strengths and weaknesses, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone just starting out and looking for a free option.

I was considering using it at one point but the interface looks so outdated, and when I was browsing through some of the themes and addons for it, many of them were no longer available from the creators. I was starting to get a little bit of an impression that development for it has maybe dropped off or something. But I still do hear of people on some of these forums using it and liking it.

banners
Back