The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Were to get forum software

penny101

affiliate
Hi
I'm seriously looking at setting up a forum but l would not know where to purchase the software, l'm not a tech head so l would need something that is straight forward to run. I have noticed that a lot of forums have the same basic design so that's what l'm looking at.
Thanks for the reply's in advance.

If you want to spend money then look at Xenforo, that's what this forum uses. It's about $130 if I remember correctly. If you want a free solution then look at PHPBB. I would definitely invest in Xenforo if this is a serious project.

Thanks for that $130 is afforadable, i will have a look at PHPBB though, do you know how easy the back room area is to use?

I'm using vBulletin 4, but it really comes down to a preference. MyBB will probably suit your needs, and it's free.

I only have use SMF and bbpress and I would say for free forum script its quite pretty amazing.

You could always test it yourself which one is really good whether PHPBB, myBB and others.
For paid forum scripts, I see most forums use Xenforo and vBulletin so it may really be good, but dont just take my word for it, the best way is for you to test it yourself.

Xenforo is definitely a great piece of software. I'm personally using MyBB (free software) for my forum, and it is also good software. I'd say it's usually better to invest in paid software if you are able to, but as long as you get a good theme, MyBB will be a great option as well.

SMF is also a good option. I personally prefer MyBB over SMF for many reasons, but many people swear by SMF, and it is easy to use for the inexperienced administrator. Both options are better than phpBB, as phpBB has not been updated in a long time. (They release maintenance updates, but overall, phpBB is behind its competitors it seems. )

It really comes down to preference. I like to test different forum softwares out and build test forums to get a sense for myself whether I like them or not. It's a great way to figure out what will suit your community's needs before you launch your forum.

Thanks for all the helpful info above, I have been wanting to set up a forum on my website and being a bit of a noob, I had no idea where to even start looking, is it better to use a forum script or program or better to learn to program it personally?

I have recently tried out phpbb, it's great, I can definately recommend it to anyone who wants to set up a forum quickly and easily!

I also agree with using phpBB. I have just started up my forum @ WPLately.org using phpBB. I have it installed on a Bluehost server, which is working well thanks to the light weight database of phpBB. I have also styled my forum using a style named Oxygen that can be found on the phpBB website under style mods.

I also agree with using phpBB. I have just started up my forum @ WPLately.org using phpBB. I have it installed on a Bluehost server, which is working well thanks to the light weight database of phpBB. I have also styled my forum using a style named Oxygen that can be found on the phpBB website under style mods.
Yeah phpBB is quite an awesome little forum tool considering that its free! Very well made and very customizable, also the learning curve isint all that steep so you dont need to be a regular computer Einstein to use to tailor a forum to suit your needs.

I've used phpBB when I started building forums until it was overrun by spammers. I still have not found an effective way to handle it. I currently use vBulletin and Xenforo. I would personally spend a few dollars to have the functionality and support associated with the bigger brands.

PhpBB and MyBB would be my favourites. They are both free. I recommend signing up for some web hosting. Bluehost for example has a marketplace where you can install forum software like MyBB and PhpBB quickly and easily.

Echoing what most people say here, MyBB is one of, if not the best free forum scripts. You can get plugins for almost anything, and it is completely customizable.

Personally, I never liked the layout of PhpBB and just how it worked in general :C.

MI
Back