The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

vBulletin without vBSEO

B

Bagi Zoltán

Hi All,
I'm going to launch a webmaster, seo forum in my country Hungary in the next weeks. As I see it is not the cheapest forum engine and I suppose to need some kind of hteaccess solution to lift up the level. If I don't have to I'm going to avoid to purchase VBSEO. What do you think, is it possible to hack the codes with additional .htaccess (using Melkior's tutorial) that would cause URLs like here or at least eg. /1528.html?

Bagi,
Its good to have vBSEO but from my experience it has not really brought any additional traffic etc.
You can hack vB to make it SEO friendly BUT you will have LOOOOTS of work to do in future because some of you mod rewrite hack will not be compatible with some of the future vB updates (this is one of the advantags of vBSEO they do all the programming at each vB update releases)

Thank you Temi for the fast answer! Would you be so kind to tell me how often do they release new vBulletin updates?

Minor updates sometime twice in one month, major updates probably every 3 months or so, this is a very rough estimate.

I will strongly advice anyone against that, even Dani the creator of the hack does not use it any more, she bough vBSEO.

I used that have for this forum a few years back, it does work but IS A BLOODY pain each time vB update that conflicts with it is released, I also used it on Ozami actually but same problem, not a good idea if you are a forward planning person

I agree on that. I just gave it as an example of what can be done.
But that implies that you do it everytime there's an upgrade and also, you'll need to modify the code eventually.
vBSEO does it all for you (and more). Main problem is you need to buy it.
But it does its job well.

Guys, thank you for the answers I have just recognised them. With my Partner in this forum project want to install something respectable script, which will deter the competitors. Nowadays at the hungarian net there are some SMF and PHPBB and one invasion webmaster forums, so we still have the opportunity to maintain the WEBMASTER FORUM. Now I'm sure that it have to be the vBulletin, and I won't be able to go without vbseo, though I'm one of those "do-it yourself kind of guys";)

Then Bagi,
Go for the full stuff then, buy vB and vBSEO, let me know when you want to buy your vBSEO, I may have a link you can buy it from :)

Temi, we have just paid the vbulletin board. Would you share with me the mentioned link? ;)

Ahh Bagi, I have not set it up yet.... if you can wait till tomorrow I can get you the link, if you cannot wait you can purchase it directly from vBSEO site.

Temi, all i have is time :D I will gladly wait. The vbseo will be purchased in the next week or a bit later.

MI
Back