The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Using dashes in domain names?

I'm planning to build a site with affiliate links. This will be a very niched site to fill a current void on the web.

The domain names I'm thinking of are already taken and automatically redirect to a website that could be one of my affiliate links.

Is it a good idea to stick to the domain names that I want but use dashes between the words, or should I go with another domain name? How important is a domain name that makes sense for SEO? Or does the domain name only matter for people to remember?

Thanks for your help!

For affiliate sites, a good keyword name is usually more important than memorability (is that a word?). I'm not a big fan of hyphens and wouldn't use them if it were the kind of site that would be promoted by word of mouth, but in some cases they might be a good choice.

I don't think there's anything wrong with hyphenated domain names, personally, and some are better hyphenated if they avoid double meanings. Additionally, I think some search engines parse the domain name better for keywords if they're hyphenated.

That said, I do not advise this if the unhyphenated versions are already taken. My preference, if I'm thinking of a hyphenated domain, is to buy both versions and point both of them to the same URL. There's always a danger that someone might type in the unhyphenated domain and end up at a competitor's site.

I agree with Minstrel. There's nothing wrong with hyphenating a domain name, but it's too easy for someone to confuse your site with the similar one, then all you're doing is throwing traffic at a competitor. I think your best course of action would be to think of a new name.

On that note, once you choose a domain name, I'd google it to see how many domains are similar to yours. You don't want to accidentally inherit another sites bad reputation or problems just because the names are so similar.

I have a few hyphenated domains and they rank as the domains without hyphens, so there is nothing wrong using them.

I agree. When I was an active affiliate I did well with hyphenated names. I see some of our affiliates doing well too. Finding the right name is important and how you promote it, of course, is equally important.

not a big fan of hyphen names unless it's the only way you can get a hyphen. like any site you're going to have to promote it and if you do that and it catches on, the hyphen won't matter. will suggest if there's any way to get the site without a hyphen then do it and point it to your hyphen.

It may not be critical but I do think hyphenated keywords parse slightly better for various search engines.

I have never had any issues using hyphens.

I think domainers want us to think that hyphens stink so that we'll spend our money buying up the domains that they're all cyber squatting on.

:)

I have one hyphenated domain name. I would have preferred non hyphenated but since this was an exact match and the top competitor also had a hyphenated name I decided to try it.
It is doing really well.

The one point I recently read is if you are planning to make this a flagship site and promote it via video or talking it up to people you will have to put the dashes in...

So please stop by and visit my site at Best dash Puppy dash Dogs..sounds kinda awkward.

It's ok to use dashes and hyphens in your domain name, but just like someone here already said your customers might confuse your domain with someone else. So if you can I would pick a different name.

banners
Back