The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Tutorial: A Complete Beginner's Guide to PHP

jackfranklin

affiliate
Ok. You’ve got a basic knowledge of HTML and preferably CSS. Where now? It has to be something dynamic next! You have a choice of ASP, Javascript and PHP.

Why Choose PHP?
PHP is a loosely typed language. Simply put, it’s not so strict with the way you code it. One tiny error is not likely to throw the entire script off.

The Very Very Basic PHP
All PHP goes inside tags.
Start tag:
PHP:
<?php
End Tag:
PHP:
?>
Firstly, don’t worry. I’m not going to show you how to do that boring ‘Echo World’ statement over and over. Let’s say we want to be able to work out the Area and the Perimeter of a rectangle. Data in PHP (Number or Text) are best stored in variables. [NOTE: A List of Items is best stored in an array, but we will see that a bit later on].

The variable sign in PHP is the dollar sign on your keyboard (Above the 4). ‘$’. You then place the name of your variable after it. Example:
PHP:
$width
You then need to give this a value. You need to use a single equals sign after it. This is were the ‘loosely typed’ bit comes into play. You can either use:
$width= OR $width =
Personally, I always place a space around the ‘=’ so it’s easier to read, but it’s your choice. [NOTE: If you leave a space before the ‘=’ it’s always best to leave one after it as well. Also, choose your favourite way and stick with it don’t switch from one to the other]
Ok, back to our rectangle. The rectangle will have 2 values which will change, the width and the height. So, we just create our two variables.
[NOTE: From now on in this tutorial I’m going to put spaces around my ‘=’ but if you don’t want to you don’t have to, just change it.]
PHP:
$width = 
  $height =
Let’s say, this rectangle has a width of 5 and a height of 2.
PHP:
$width = 5; //This is the width of my rectangle
  $height = 2; //This is the height of my rectangle.
Woah! There are a couple of things to look at there!
Firstly, note the ‘;’ after each line. This is needed after you declare the variable to tell PHP that that variable is finished, you have stopped declaring a value for that variable. Secondly, note the ‘//’ and then a comment. This is the PHP way of declaring comments. You know, in HTML you use <!—Comment-->, well in PHP you just place the ‘//’ in front of your comment.
So, now our rectangle has a width and a height, we can work out the area and the perimeter. The area is the width multiplied by the height, and the perimeter is the Width, add the height, add the width, add the height, or in other words, (Width + Height) multiplied by 2. So, how can we do this in PHP? Let’s take a quick look at PHP Operators!
Operators, or at least what I take as operators, are PHP’s way of dividing, multiplying, etc. Below are a list of Operators and what they do. I advise you learn these, they are not all what you expect:
Addition – (+)
Subtraction – (-)
Multiplication – (*)
Division – (/)
Modulus – (%)
Addition by One – (++)
Equal To – (==)
Not Equal to – (!=)
Less Than – (<)
More Than – (>)
Less Than or Equal to – (<=)
More Than or Equal to – (>=)

Note that Equal to is a double ‘=’ not just a single one. This is because a single equals sign is a ‘giver’ – it gives something a value. EG: $variable = 2.

So, back to our rectangle, to work out the area we will need to use multiply (*) and to work out the Perimeter, we will need to use Add (+) and Multiply (*).
I’m going to create 2 new variables, $area and $perim.
PHP:
$area = 
  $perim =
Now, to work out the area, we multiply $width and $height.
PHP:
$area = $width * $height;
The perimeter is ($width + $height) * 2. This can be done in PHP. You are still able to use brackets.
PHP:
$perim = ($width + $height) * 2;
So we now have worked out the area and perimeter. But, we want to show these to our user! In PHP, to display something, you use echo.
PHP:
echo 'The area of our rectangle is: '.$area.' and the perimeter is: '.$perim.' We worked them out using Operators!';
You surround the entire echo statement in ‘ and ‘. All the text, including any HTML tags, need to be surrounded by ‘’. To display a variable, this is how you would.
  • You have a simple echo statement:
    PHP:
    echo '<p>What is the width of my rectangle?</p>';
  • To add a variable in after the question mark, firstly you need to add a single speech mark (').
    PHP:
    echo '<p>What is the width of my rectangle?'</p>';
  • Then add a full stop:
    PHP:
    echo '<p>What is the width of my rectangle?'.</p>';
  • Now add your variable name, another full stop, and another single speech mark.
    PHP:
    echo '<p>What is the width of my  rectangle? '.$width.'</p>';
  • In simple terms, all variables in echo statements must be surrounded with a: ‘. and a .’
But there is an exception. If you only want to display a variable with no text you do it like so:
PHP:
echo $width;
Easy as that!

So, we can now show off to the user. See if you can, on your own, display the width, height, area and perimeter in echo tags, each in a <h4> tag with ‘Width is: ‘ before them. (Replace width with whatever). See below for the answer.
PHP:
echo '<h4>Width is: '.$width.'</h4>';
  echo '<h4>Height is: '.$height.'</h4>';
  echo '<h4>Area is: '.$area.'</h4>';
  echo '<h4>Perimeter is: '.$perim.'</h4>';

That’s it!

Last edited by a moderator:
More - I went over the post limit.
Arrays
Nearly there! Remember earlier I mentioned a list going in an array? This is how.
An array is simply a list of items. To create an array you do the following:
PHP:
$worker[0] = "Jack";
$worker[1] = "Ed";
$worker[2] = "Alex";
$worker[3] = "Rob";

This creates a list of items. The variable $worker is now an array. [NOTE: That the first item is not the ‘1st’ but the ‘0th’.
To display them, you just echo them like we did above:
PHP:
echo $worker[0]; //Displays Jack

PHP:
echo 'One of the workers is called: '.$worker[2].' He is a nice worker'; //Displays: One of the workers is called Alex He is a nice worker.

Happy?

That is indeed the basics of PHP covered as simply as I can put.

i can not understand where i write it? and in what name it will be saved?
can i write in notepad like HTML and save in *.php.
thanks

Thats probably the cleanest & easiest introduction to PHP I've seen - nicely done.

For anyone wanting to take PHP a step further, W3 Schools have a good PHP reference section.

In answer to the post above - you can write php in any text editor just as you can with html...the php extension tells the server to run the PHP code to assemble the HTML before sending it to your browser when you view it....also if testing on your own computer, you will need a text environment (WAMP, LAMP, XAMP or MAMP depending on your computer).

Hey

Thanks alot for the really simple guide, I'm getting into learning php myself atm, it's really quite simple the way you put it, not in the massive books.

Hi, as we know that php is a server side scripting language, which is run on server like Apache.
and Before going to that i suggest you go to client side scripting like HTML, CSS,Java script ad many more,
Here i also mention URL that help you, w3schools.com.

i can not understand where i write it? and in what name it will be saved?
can i write in notepad like HTML and save in *.php.
thanks

You can use notepad when creating php files. You just must save it as *.php. But there are much better php editors like Dreamweaver and notepad++

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact this is a good guide for the beginners of the PHP programmers but many things are missing for anyone who want to improve the learning, so PHP is much more complex than this. Better to find more stuff and yes there are many other to get a better start.

Really that is excellent and very clean explanation, i think that is really very helpful for beginners thanks a lot for sharing this important information.

In fact, PHP programmers guide to the beginning of many things, but want to improve learning for anyone who is missing. It's a integrated with large number of database including MySQL, Sybase informix, Postgre SQL and many more server we can use.

banners
Back