The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

True zero-downtime hosting

Kenny Bergquist

With the recent AWS crash that caused thousands of sites to go down in an instant, it's become more apparent than ever that cloud hosting (even through a giant like Amazon) cannot offer truly 100% uptime. But hosting technology is rapidly changing. I work as a web developer, but have recently been wearing the hat of a sysadmin as well. I use the Google Cloud Platform for all of my hosting. The reason is it offers more customizability, and is ultimately cheaper as a result. Netflix, for example, switched from AWS to GCP last year. Above simply being cheaper, GCP offers some interesting features...

Containerization is the craze in the hosting industry right now, and for good reason: easily deployable and replicable, containers are becoming dominant in all areas of computing, not just the web. GCP offers Kubernetes hosting, which is a container cluster manager. What this means is that you can have 3 or even 300 different cloud servers, possibly located all around the world, serving your website at the same time using load balancing. This introduces true zero-downtime deployment, where a mistake in one container is not enough to bring down your entire website, traffic simply gets routed to a functional container.

This type of service is neither cheap nor an easy solution for beginners. Instead, it is designed to address mid- to high-traffic sites which benefit greatly from zero downtime and a bunch of other features. I realize that this service would be valuable to some affiliate marketers, so I'm putting this here to gauge interest. Obviously, the complexity of this service means that contract work for it tends to be quite expensive. My company, for example, charges in the area of $150 per hour. I would obviously not charge that much, but if you are interested and would like an estimate, feel free to PM me.

I've been explaining that "Cloud" is just a salesman term since I first hear it. Eventually, at some point in the infrastructure, it's still protocol over ports on a server that is hosted & served from hardware.

The best way to reliably offer true 100% uptime, is to load balance over multiple services, & failover. Even then, DNS can be DDOS'ed.

MI
Back