The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Thinking about starting a new webmaster forum

so, it looks like vb it is then. when you purchase the license for 160, does it allow you to use the software on multiple domains?

Having said that, OWG run a far larger forum than this with phpBB so perhaps he want to tell us the secret of his phpBB success.

I have the registration page set so that the url and signature fields are commented out. Then when the register button is pressed, it checks to see if either of these fields have been filled out. If they have the registration is instantly binned automatically as it means a bot has completed the form (the fields are available but invisible).

Simple as that really :)

I have the registration page set so that the url and signature fields are commented out. Then when the register button is pressed, it checks to see if either of these fields have been filled out. If they have the registration is instantly binned automatically as it means a bot has completed the form (the fields are available but invisible).

OWG, I will appriciate this hack if you can send it to me by PM, perhaps I can put my phpBB link exchange forums back online, just got feed up of all the work I have to put into it and its not that big enough yet to warrant buying another vB license

so, it looks like vb it is then. when you purchase the license for 160, does it allow you to use the software on multiple domains?

Its $160 per domain you install vB on but when you buy more license I think they give you about $30 discount... have a look here:vBulletin® - Order Form

You can also lease the license instead of buying it, its cheaper but I think it more expensive in the long run

SMF is similar to vBulletin in many ways. Like vB, there are updates available through the admin panel. Some things are a bit trickier in SMF though, but for the most part, it's really good and very secure from hackers. The default theme that comes with SMF is quite ugly, but there are plenty of themes to choose from. I personally like the vBulletin mock theme like I have installed at another forum. Themes is where it gets you though, if you would like to make changes to your theme, or add plug-ins or modifications, you sometimes have to do it manually. I'm not sure how it works with vB. But, a little bit of knowledge in PHP goes a long way in SMF, because for the most part, changes are quite simple.

There would be 2 reasons that I would opt to use vB. One is because it is far more powerful than any of the free scripts. Two is the simple fact that many people (especially webmasters), find vBulletin more professional, and will steer clear of forums that don't use it. The only downside to vB is that it costs money.

Wow. I can't believe it you did that!!! It had the same idea a few months ago and implemented in my Tech Forums. It did reduce the number of bogus registrations but not completely stop it.
What I did was hide the URL field in the registration form and reject all registrations that submit the forum with this field set.

Great minds think alike. :)

Ok. I decided to go ahead with that idea and have found a domain name to use on my webmaster forum. It is not as good as maxseo domain name. It is a little bit funny. I don't know if I should have gone for that name as it may sound goofy to some people.
Please don't laugh at me if I tell you, ok???

Sometimes the more funny the domain is, the easier to remember. My name is good for search engines but I dont think it is very catchy

it's really cool, ground could have lots of interpretations, eg: webmasterfield or it could mean webmasterarena, or perhaps webmasterbasics etc,

very good general name. And to help yourself keep this is as a main page and register forums under forums.webmasterground.com etc

Cheers

I like it. I like the ones that OWG mentioned too, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me...;) It's easy to remember, it's a .com(not that important to me, but to some), plus it seems as though you have the drive to make it happen. I wish to you the best of luck.

banners
Back