The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

The 'how to' of email marketing.

C

CPAInfinitySteve

For those of you that don't know me, I'm Stephen Stepanik of CPA Infinity. I've been mailing for several years, it's how I first started making money online. It's how I made my first $100, $1,000 and so on per day.

To clear some things up right off the bat with a little Q&A.

Q: Can I download lists and mail to them?
A: According to federal law yes you can. Although according to the Terms of Service(TOS) of 99.99% of ISP's in the world it's in violation of their terms of service.

Q: When I collect emails on a website, since they entered in their information, I can email to them right since it's my website?
A: No. You can't unless you clearly state in your Privacy Policy and Terms of Service how their information will be used. If you don't let them know that they may receive additional information from you or a third party you can't legally market anything to them. Whether it be a pen from your company or a new car that's being given away - nothing can legally be marketed to them and according to all ISP's worldwide it is considered spam.

Q: What is spam?
A: Spam is Unsolicited bulk mail("UBE") or Unsolicited Commercial Email("UCE"). It basically breaks down like this -

John gave company XYZ consent for them to market products to him.
or
John didn't give company XYZ consent for them to market products to him.

Now - if John did give them consent - Company XYZ can sell of sections of the email list and whoever purchases it would be in the clear as far as mailing goes.

Q: What should be watched for when purchasing an email list?
A: Make sure that you're obtaining at minimum the following -
First name
Last name
Email
City
State
IP
Source
Timestamp

That way in case you receive a letter from your hosting company or anyone asks you for proof that John Doe at 123 Rainy Lane, Las Vegas, NV claims you spammed them, you have proof that you where given consent, it also couldn't hurt to have a printed record of the privacy policy.

Q: SMTP Server or having your own server?
A: A lot of people just associate SMTP with mailing without knowing anything about mailing in general or the protocals.

SMTP stands for Send Mail Transfer Protol, just like HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language.

Now - you could technically use either one, but why you should or shouldn't use one or the other varies on how you will be using it. Let's break it down a bit to determine which one you should or shouldn't use.

SMTP
~Pros~
- Usually cheaper than a server
- Requires minimal setup

~Cons~
- Static IP

What would you use a SMTP for?
You would use a SMTP mainly for a newsletter such as the newsletter of Affiliate Fix. As far as marketing - A SMTP is usually a no-go, or I personally don't prefer it - put it that way.

Server
~Pros~
- Easily rotate IP's
- Easy Expansion and easily link servers to send out more mails faster
- Can run PHP scripts, desktop applications, pearl scripts, python scripts, etc.
- Easily update images for creatives and link to them

~Cons~
- Can be costly if you don't know what you're doing

Q: Out of all of the Email Service Providers("ESP") out there, which one is the best?
A: For marketing - I personally don't like any of them as their too costly in my opinion. I would only use an ESP for a newsletter. Reason being - If you look at MailChimp - 1,000,000 emails at about 12 million emails per month - that's sending 1/3 of the month so say about 12 days. That's leaving about 18 days on the table that you could be marketing with. They're charging you around $4,400 for that. Now if you have your own server - you can send that out for under $1,000 per month.

Now as far as ESP's do I have a favorite?
Yes, I personally like AWeber.

Q: What is "list hygiene"?
A: List Hygiene is making sure just that, list hygiene. You wouldn't go to a meeting without taking a shower, brushing your teeth, etc. just like you shouldn't send to a list without verifying the emails are valid, and to make sure they're free of spam traps.

Q: What is email validation and why do you need to do it?
Email validation isn't a requirement per-se, but it's always good to do as it keeps your IP's alive longer, because just like death - getting blacklisted is virtually impossible to avoid. Even if you're truly providing value, you will will end up on blacklists at some point, it's just a matter of when, not if.

Email Validation is verifying that an email exists, for example ILoveEmailMarketingSpamMeNow@cpainfinity.com doesn't exist - an email validation system would help you verify that.

Q: Should I use plain text or HTML for sending?
A: I personally use HTML.

If you have any of you from the fix have any questions or concerns about email marketing, feel free to let me know.

I also offer personal coaching with emailing.

Excellent, Steve, thank-you!

I've received emails from two networks saying that email marketing to Canada is no longer allowed because of the new regulations. Does this cover the new CASL legislation? It looks as though it probably does.

I've received emails from two networks saying that email marketing to Canada is no longer allowed because of the new regulations. Does this cover the new CASL legislation? It looks as though it probably does.

This was only for USA mailing - but I can surly write one up about Canadian mailing as well. Mailing to Canada isn't "done" it's just difficult. Just as SMS Marketing - it's not outlawed what-so-ever, it's just a matter of abiding by the law. Not just the federal law, but each individual states law, as well as the company / service providers "law" aka TOS.

This was only for USA mailing - but I can surly write one up about Canadian mailing as well. Mailing to Canada isn't "done" it's just difficult. Just as SMS Marketing - it's not outlawed what-so-ever, it's just a matter of abiding by the law. Not just the federal law, but each individual states law, as well as the company / service providers "law" aka TOS.

A Canadian one would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Yeah, the new rules make it a pain in the butt but the fines start at $1,000,000 so best to do it right. All of my regular service providers and newsletter subs have had to email me and ask for permission a second time to continue sending my invoices and newsletters, etc. Like I said, pain in the backside but worth not skipping the legalities.

What SMTP do you use ?

I've my main PowerMTA servir with IP rotating and I think its the best for control and don't pay so much money for sending email.
Just need to setup all rules for ISP.

Thank you for your great post ! and it really useful for me . I also face that problem of my mail marked as a SPAM. By this i can come to nice conclusion.
Thank you.

I'm guessing things like scraping user ids and emailing them through Facebook email address is a no no for gathering prospects for an email list

I just read the whole guide and I must and I should say, this guide is one of the most HQ guides I have read about email marketing. I learned a thing or two reading it.

Hi Azgold,
E-mailing is allowed in Canada, the only thing you need to make sure of is that every contact you have in your database actually opted-in to receive your e-mails. You should know CASL covers more than just e-mail. It also covers texts, IMs, and automated cell phone messages sent to computers/phones in Canada.

Hope this helps,
EvoLeads

Hi Azgold,
E-mailing is allowed in Canada, the only thing you need to make sure of is that every contact you have in your database actually opted-in to receive your e-mails. You should know CASL covers more than just e-mail. It also covers texts, IMs, and automated cell phone messages sent to computers/phones in Canada.

Hope this helps,
EvoLeads

Thanks, EvoLeads!

I did read about the IMs and texts. Re the phones...we already have a Do Not Call list but it doesn't seem to get enforced. Haven't read about CASL affecting phone messages yet, didn't know about that.

The way I understand CASL, you have to be very explicit about what the signee is signing up for - the what and the how often. They recommend that you keep records of dates of signups, IP addresses and whatever else you might need to prove to the government that you had permission to email a complainant.

Like I said....pain in the butt.

It's two of the CPA networks that don't allow email campaigns in Canada anymore.

banners
Back