The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

The DMOZ Curse

T

Tekime

This is has been discussed to death in a number of places I guess, but I'm just curious if anyone else is suffering from Thh DMOZ Curse on any of their sites. I run a hardware review web site, which is nearly 4 years old, PR 5, and I have diligently submitted to the category every 6 months or so, spoken with the editors, posted in their forums, jumped through hoops and swallowed flaming swords, and my site still does not appear in it's category while dead links, SPAM laden sites, expired domains, etc. sit pretty and mock me.

On the other hand, I've had a few categories pick up sites less than a few months old!

Apparently some of their editors left for lunch and never came back. I've basically given up since they closed their forums to inquries. :rolleyes:

Anyone else stuck in the abyss?

I've only ever submitted one site to Dmoz and had it picked up pretty much right away. I wonder if it depends on how many editors they are in a category because I was very fortunate as compared to many who can't seem to get listed.

I wasn't aware they closed their forums to inquiries though. The main forums are not for listing inquiries, they have another that was supposed to be but I never went there.

temi said:
If you are despirate about adding yoursite, why not join DMOZ and add it yourself?

That only works if you can be an editor of your own category.

I have been rejected by DMOZ 3 times as an editor of a niche category that has nothing to do with my work. on the third attempt a meta editor wrote my application, and it was STILL rejected.

DMOZ is broken guys, face up to it. While there are a lot of decent editors, there are also a few crooked ones who wield their power like a light sabre. They add their own spam sites, and they knobble the descriptions of sites in competition with their own.

My attitude is now, do it one, do it right, and forget about it.

OWG rejected? now wonder DMOZ is such a crap, maybe you need to bribe in order to be accepted and an editor, just like I heard you need to bribe one of the editors to get you site listed sometime.

OldWelshGuy said:
I have been rejected by DMOZ 3 times as an editor of a niche category that has nothing to do with my work. on the third attempt a meta editor wrote my application, and it was STILL rejected.

DMOZ is broken guys, face up to it. While there are a lot of decent editors, there are also a few crooked ones who wield their power like a light sabre. They add their own spam sites, and they knobble the descriptions of sites in competition with their own.

My attitude is now, do it one, do it right, and forget about it.

Heh...Heh...Heh...Heh...

temi said:
Yes, you just apply to edit that category

It's not that easy. They make you jump through a few hoops prior to being accepted. For a while I considered actually trying to become one, started going through the sign up steps and said forget it.

I also think DMOZ is bloated with tons of editors who do nothing.

temi said:
They are always advertising for editors, I did not know its soo difficult to get selected

Maybe that's why their always advertising.

I feel pretty confident with my writing skills, believe I'm articulate enough and have some knowledge to draw from and I just couldn't be bothered to jump through hoops to help them out. To be perfectly honest, it sounds like a pretty involved job and time consuming.

Good luck to them, I have never applied, will never apply though some of my sites are in DMOZ but others that are not are getting on very well withoug DMOZ listing so I won't lose sleep over not being listed in DMOZ

I'm almost considering completing the registration process to see if I can be accepted.

I applied to edit a category relevant to one of my sites, which had not had an editor for years. I thought the lack of an editor might be part of the reason why my site had not been listed.

My application was refused, the email was generic listing possible reasons why I might have been refused but I'm guessing it was conflict of interests. This is really frustrating as its a small category with 5 sites, 1 of which is seriously lacking content and out of date and another has been completely abandoned for several years.

my site: www.cardiffonline.net
category: http://dmoz.org/Regional/Europe/United_Kingdom/Wales/Cardiff/Guides_and_Directories/

maybe you need to bribe them to become and editor like I heard that you need to bribe to get your site listed.

temi said:
OWG,
I don't get it, what has that BBC got to do with DMOZ, sorry I am not a very clever guy :(

Sorry. The phrase 'Am I bovvered' Is a catch phrase used by Lauren who is a character in the Catherine Tate show (hence the beeb link) :(

banners
Back