The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Ten questions on expert SEO techniques

v9designbuild

- When searching for relevant blogs to make comments in, people sometimes use "[search term] leave a comment" to find them. What other methods are there to find these blogs?
- Posting stories to article directories about the global economy has a far greater reach than SEO, some giving me PR4+ linkbacks. But should one stay on subject?
- mattcutts and problogger gave me the best linkbacks I ever had. Do you think, as authority sites, comments should be continued even with n/a PR and nofollows?
- Similarly, I suspect PR7/6 sites that have nofollow tags are seen by Google as worthy. Why?
- Many web design stories I blog I pull from moreover, with a credit. This obviously isn't the perfect practice but what are the constraints?
- Keyworded domains; my b?te noire. The following shows you data the keyworded domain and my site and yet it always wins: PR: 3/4; Internal pages: 85/224; Google links: 3/30; Yahoo links: 201/1,906; Alexa rank:254,4643, 144,2767; Age: Sep 13, 2006/Dec 25, 2003. This weighting eliminates corporate branding and, also, why isn't Google searchengine.com when AltaVista is #1?
- Many comment pages have entries that are obvious spam. Should these pages be avoided?
- As a web design agency, I have been told not to place a linkback on clients' websites. Why not, it seems to work?
- What is the best strategy for choosing a subject and evaluating readability in social bookmarking sites?
- Do CSS/XML sites enjoy better results than tables-driven sites. If so, why?

- As a web design agency, I have been told not to place a linkback on clients' websites. Why not, it seems to work?

In most cases, the client has already paid you for your work, so a link back to you is like an extra charge. There's nothing wrong with the practice as long as the client has agreed in advance to allow you to do that, but it shouldn't be tacked on at the end of the job without the cutomer's express consent.

- Do CSS/XML sites enjoy better results than tables-driven sites. If so, why?

No. There has never been a shred of evidence to suggest that this is true, although the myth persists anyway. Spiders read text. They don't care how that text is presented.

There may be other good reasons for making your web pages W3C compliant but getting indexed by search engines isn't one of them.

"- When searching for relevant blogs to make comments in, people sometimes use "[search term] leave a comment" to find them. What other methods are there to find these blogs?"

you could use a variety of commands like inurl:blog "keywords here" or inurl:node "keyword here"

you could even get wordpress by using "powered by wordpress" "keywords here"

"- Posting stories to article directories about the global economy has a far greater reach than SEO, some giving me PR4+ linkbacks. But should one stay on subject?"

First you have to remember that google nor any search engine can reason, so they go by factors, and relevence can still be attained to some degree by 1 or more of your keywords in the title of the articles, and the articles retain your title during reprint, so you make sure it is somewhat relevent.

Here is an example:SEO-Reaching The Global Economy With Search Marketing.

Just use your imagination and most of the time you can incorperate some of your keywords into an articles and get some credit for relevence.

"- mattcutts and problogger gave me the best linkbacks I ever had. Do you think, as authority sites, comments should be continued even with n/a PR and nofollows?
- Similarly, I suspect PR7/6 sites that have nofollow tags are seen by Google as worthy. Why?"

Absolutely, keep the comments going. Here is a misconception about the nofollow attribute. You may not pass PR (pagerank) but you still get credit for the anchor and google still knows it is from an authority site. The nofollow was implimented to curtail spam and link buying, it did not completely do away with the links, just lowered the value of them to some degree.

"- Many web design stories I blog I pull from moreover, with a credit. This obviously isn't the perfect practice but what are the constraints?"

There are none as long as you are legal in getting them (reprint rights) and reprinting them as long as credit is given. If not, then a small paragraph and a link to the origional is in order.

As far as ranking, if you get links to the pages, they will not go supplemental, so they are safe.

Domains do give a slight edge, but can be overcome with links and onpage.

Feedback from questions

In most cases, the client has already paid you for your work, so a link back to you is like an extra charge. There's nothing wrong with the practice as long as the client has agreed in advance to allow you to do that, but it shouldn't be tacked on at the end of the job without the cutomer's express consent.

No. There has never been a shred of evidence to suggest that this is true, although the myth persists anyway. Spiders read text. They don't care how that text is presented.

There may be other good reasons for making your web pages W3C compliant but getting indexed by search engines isn't one of them.

1. It always appears on the design template and all clients are aware of the existence of a linkback, if not the real reason for including it.

2. Good. I thought so. It's just that some rating sites downgrade because of it and I wondered why.

you could use a variety of commands like inurl:blog "keywords here" or inurl:node "keyword here"

you could even get wordpress by using "powered by wordpress" "keywords here"

First you have to remember that google nor any search engine can reason, so they go by factors, and relevence can still be attained to some degree by 1 or more of your keywords in the title of the articles, and the articles retain your title during reprint, so you make sure it is somewhat relevent.

Here is an example:SEO-Reaching The Global Economy With Search Marketing.

Just use your imagination and most of the time you can incorperate some of your keywords into an articles and get some credit for relevence.

Absolutely, keep the comments going. Here is a misconception about the nofollow attribute. You may not pass PR (pagerank) but you still get credit for the anchor and google still knows it is from an authority site. The nofollow was implimented to curtail spam and link buying, it did not completely do away with the links, just lowered the value of them to some degree.

There are none as long as you are legal in getting them (reprint rights) and reprinting them as long as credit is given. If not, then a small paragraph and a link to the origional is in order.

As far as ranking, if you get links to the pages, they will not go supplemental, so they are safe.

Domains do give a slight edge, but can be overcome with links and onpage.

Thanks Jim. Confirmed what I suspected.

MI
Back