The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Surviving this Economy - Affiliate Marketing Recession Strategies

Linda Buquet

affiliate
I hate to talk doom and gloom because it seems that's all that's in the news. But we can't avoid the fact the economy is in a scary place. However that does not mean the opportunity for affiliates to earn revenue is necessarily diminished. Some affiliates who switch gears and look for ways to profit in this economic crisis could actually fare quite well.

Today I'd like to point you to two idea-filled blogs on the subject of affiliate marketing in a recession. 1st Lisa Riolo asks <strong><a href="http://lisariolo.com/archives/will-affiliates-survive-this-econom">Will Affiliates Survive this Economy</a>?</strong> She offers some really good tips and ideas. Hat tip to <a href="http://www.jangro.com/a/2008/11/23/will-affiliates-survive-this-economy-lisariolo/">Scott Jangro</a> for the story. I had not discovered Lisa's new blog yet.

Next up, today at Revenews CT Moore posted a really good article about affiliate recession strategies over at Revenews.
<blockquote><strong><a href="http://www.revenews.com/ctmoore/holiday-recession-opportunities/">Holiday Recession Opportunities</a></strong> - "A recession marketing tactic used by many merchants is to offer strategic pricing or customer incentives. A good affiliate recession strategy, then, is to target online shoppers who most actively seek out these strategic pricing offers. Mommies are a great recession niche because they are (1) they most actively seek out deals on family-related necessities, and (2) download more coupons than any other demographics, and family-related coupon downloads searches are up across the board.

Although a recession entails an economic slowdown, it doesn?t necessarily mean there is less opportunity. Rather, it represents a new set of opportunities. After all, there are just as many consumers as there were before, it?s just that their spending habits have changed. This means as an affiliate you are dealing with a whole new set of market demands, and that demand is largely for savings, especially on basic necessities."</blockquote>

Unfortunately a lot of affiliates, especially newbie affiliates will fall by the way side. Mainly because as the sales get less, the motivation just is not there to keep building.

For the smart ones, well they will keep building

The recession has got to end sometime

The guy who keeps working on his/ her SEO and content and product development will be better placed to take advantage of a re-opened market when we get out of the recession

I have found with the Economy is such a heap of mess the 'make money niche' seems to remain pretty constant if not better in these times. Many people who have lost jobs, houses etc.. will get on the internet to see how to earn extra money. So this Niche has remained fairly stable and strong in my experience.

Change is comming

It seems that all the things going on in the world the internet is still the biggest marketing tool and most visited/used by all kinds of people all over the world. I see a positive change in a seemingly negitive world.:)
Thank you countless thousands of people asking great and helpfull questions; but even more thanx to all the inteligent/knowledgeable people who take the time to share and help.

Thanx,
DB

There is always opportunity ...

e.g. people will quite likely spend less time in shops shopping, but more time online shopping ...

Products that help people fix a problem or solve an issue should continue to sell.

It's all about being adaptive. Any good company, even the biggest in the world, is always adapting their strategy, and we should all be exactly the same. :)

It's all about your view of your market, and what your market wants...find out, then deliver it to them. Oh yeah, and even in the deepest of recessions...your market wants something.

Remember that every problem is an opportunity in disguise. We as marketers should know how to turn that problem into a sale if we are smart and creative ....

Interesting points raised here. I think the new market of non-corporate success is rapidly growing due to the recession, and I'm a part of that market. I mean, people are tired of relying on others for their success, and they are willing to invest in information and skills that will help them market their unique creativity and talents.

great points

I love the tidbits if inspiration people give. It causes poeple to stop and think while hopefuly aplying some of it to their lives. I love the saying "if you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right. It's really about believing in yourself and knowing if you keep at it with that possitive passion we talk obout then you truly can make your own way prosperous and have good success.

good day,
Danny

Though the economy is a bit down as of this time, there are still a lot of business opportunities sprouting that is profitable and still more people are searching everyday for a business opportunities available online.

Yupi, thanks for tips you've shared with us here.. It's a pretty tough thing to market affiliate products nowadays but am still striving hard to maximize my profits.. and I'm taking advantage of the holiday season because I believe there's a big rush for buying gifts and promoting good affiliate products is a good way.. just have to struggle for so much competition ahead.

One reason I love selling in the "make money online" niche is that if you find good products that teach people real skills, you can empower people to take charge of their financial future in ways they weren't doing before.

We all know people who thought they'd be working for Corporation A for forty years and retire with a nice pension only to discover that they're on their own due to a layoff. It's sad, but I find that even senior citizens can learn how to make money with internet marketing - I've taught my great-aunt to do it, and she's very nervous about using the computer!

It gives me a kick to share real info with these people that will help them for the long-term. Sure, certain aspects of marketing like mainstream retail might be down for a while, but there are a lot of other things to sell - from products to services and more.

So overall it is a tremendous opportunity for growth - if you can have the persistence and a positive attitude.

Dan

Affiliate Marketing Recession Strategies

I have found that it's good to help other people in tough economic times. The make money online niche, along with tutorials and assistance in learning how to set up blogs and websites can really help people, and keep your online business afloat.

I think that it's good to help find real solutions and pass along tips to others.

Carmen :)

Yeah, and I think that the recession is going to pave the way for a new system of economy, where more and more people are working for themselves, utilizing web resources, partnering up with other entrepreneurs, and doing affiliate marketing. The corporate scheme is not infallible, as we have been seeing, and people need to be creative with their unique talents.

I have recently watched 8 good friends loose their jobs (all in banking & investment firms), and how devastating it is to them and their families.

I have tried to suggest Affiliate Marketing to them, but I recently have just started myself and can not show them real profits at this time, but I have suggested that they start reading these forums & to start reading 'make money blogs' to get an idea of what is out here.

I am currently still employed, but you just never know! Hopefully I can get my business going before I find myself in the same situation.

Best of Luck to all!

Any tips though on how to start as an affiliate in this time of recession? Is it perhaps more strategic to wait for a market to reemerge, or would it be wise to carve out a niche anticipating an eventual demand?

demand might be a good way to go. Unemployment will be going up - making money on-line might be a good niche. People are spending less, but with NO JOB they will be looking to feed their families. Health Care is always a good way to go. People will be looking for ways to keep their homes. Think it through - you will find something.

I truly believe that we are blessed that I am experiencing the recession in my lifetime and in my prime.

Once the economy picks up, its going to be a gold rush and open a lot of opportunities to new and small businesses without the big companies firmly rooted to any niche market.

MI
Back