The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Suggestion request

B

Bagi Zoltán

About two months ago I launced my directory. I didn't want to spend any money so I installed a free directory script called indexscript.

After maintaining it I am not satisfied. It provides poor seo firendly urls, and to tell the truth it is not very interactive. I just want to give more value to the listed sites. Yesterday night I was looking for a voting script and I found freeglobes. It is supposed to be a nice hybrid of directory script and social bookmark systems, with excellent urls.

Now I am thinking to change the engine to this one. I know SEs will have to reindex the whole site, but in long term this seems to be better choice for me. I think I will have to hurry, because I want to get some PR to the inner pages also in April.

I just want to ask whether you have any suggestion for me?

All opinion is appreciated;)

Hi, You will struggle to get any Internal PR at the next update. You say April, but we dont know it is going to be April, could be end of March or May or June. Lets assume you are right and April is a good guess, the TBPR update rollout is taken from a snapshot 4 to 5 weeks prior to the big day. So anything from about RIGHT NOW onwards IMO may have no impact on the next TBPR update. You have to carry on regardless and think of the next one I reckon. Unless you are VERY quick and a bit lucky.

Unless you are VERY quick and a bit lucky.
I'm both.

Though it's possible that I miss the next update, I'm guess the home page will get a nice one, so I will be patient. The indexscript wasn't logical for me. I think the features of the freeglope script worth it.

Bagi,
For web directory, I will suggest you use eSyndicate or PHPLD (I am sure there are many other good script, I only have experience with the above two) If will also suggest you keep your directory section separate from the rest of your site for easy maintenace, perhaps the directory should be in a folder called /dir/ and link to important part of the directoy from the index page. This will give you more control over you homepage.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Temi you have huge experience relating to directories. What would do you think about a social bookmark system and a directory hybrid. Can it attract visitors?

I don't want to hold one directory from thousands.

I am sure a social bookmaking and a directory hybrid will work quite well in terms of attracting traffic. Attracting traffic (fun seekers) and attracting paying directory customers can be two different things, but combining the two could give you best of both worlds. I have come across a few sites that combine the two, sadly can't remember the name of any of them :(

I am a little confused;) I think I have to wait a little with the decision.

While you are thinking here are a few things you need to consider:

- Who am I targeting, individual fun users or businesses? (Businesses will pay to list on your directory, fun users usually look for freebies so you income will be from adverts mainly).
- Is the script from a single vendor or multiple vendors? (One from social networking script vendor and one from web directory script vendor) if script are from different vendors, do not install it on your homepage, install in sub folders and link to it from you homepage.
- Are the script compatible?
- If one of the scripts is updated, would be easy to update my entire site?

And loads of other questions you should write down and think about before making up your mind :)

Thank you Temi for your time. I think I regroup my energy on the hotel project, so I will have plenty of time to consider what I want to do with that.

MI
Back