The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Stuck in a Weird Place

kuraykillua

affiliate
I've been reading a lot of things on blogging and how to earn money blogging, but what exactly am I supposed to write about? How will writing about those topics, writing that certain way make me money? How do I get readers? I have a blog (blogspot) and have no problem consistently writing, just I don't have any readers and don't exactly know what I am supposed to write about that will help me make money. I did read many threads here looking for answers but it seems that those are not important elements. I also advertised for my blog on Craiglist. The traffic that comes from Craiglist isn't that much.
If there is something I'm missing out here, I'd love to know. Thanks so much 5 star forum. I've already learned much from here, and I think that there is more for me to learn here too. Thanks so much!
So my plan right now, is to scratch the old ones that were going nowhere and start again. I'm going to use blogger for now, posts about my passion for guitars, concerts, and a few affiliate links in them.
After the site is done, I would go and start spreading it. Advertise on Craig's list is the only one I can think of right now, but I believe making a squidoo lens might help, maybe some specific interests social group. Update the site once a day at first, then just go on posting and posting (not sure about what). Maybe slap on Adsense? I know that DiamondSEO said that it's not a good idea to have Adsense WITH a affiliate blog.
As I may be very confusing to you readers, I'll basically go out there and just attempt to bomb my way out first, and trying every tactic to gain traffic, then hopefully it's a system that works... (or don't...).
So what's on your mind that might help?
I'm sure you could be very knowledgeable.
-k

K you bring up lots of points. Let me see if I can address a couple and give you some suggestions.

but what exactly am I supposed to write about? How will writing about those topics, writing that certain way make me money?

I think you should really think more about and research the right niche before you go off half cocked just trying stuff without a clear purpose.

You can only get traffic if you write about something people will be interested in and hopefully something that a certain type of person would be interested in so it's easier to target your marketing efforts.

To write about something people would be interested in and want to read it helps if you know about and are passionate about the topic. If you are a great writer and marketer it would not matter as much.

posts about my passion for guitars, concerts, and a few affiliate links in them. ... then just go on posting and posting (not sure about what)...

Guitars and concerts are pretty competitive and to be honest it does not sound like you are that committed to this topic. If you don't have any idea what you would/could post about now - then it's going to be really hard when you have to do it every day.

Dig down a little deeper. Is there something more specific about guitars? A certain type of music? The rush of 1st learning? Dreaming of being a rock star? I'm just throwing out random stuff and probably none of those things would make a good niche. But trying to get you to find something more specific in that topic area that would make it more of a niche and try to get you to find an idea you can latch onto and write from the heart about.

If you just can't come up with a good niche idea around guitars, then it may be good to do some more thinking about a niche and research. Trust me when I say that even if you are PASSIONATE about the topic, it's still hard to think of things to write about all the time. If you pick a niche you are luke warm about then, writing will be a real chore.

Have you read a bunch of the threads in the niche forum? Do that before you do anything. My sense is that you really need to find a niche - something you can dig your teeth into.

DON'T put up affiliate links or Adsense until you start getting some traffic. Just focus 1st on finding the right niche, then content, then traffic and then you can add links later.

Thanks so much, it seems it's still the basic things I'm missing out on. I'm going to get to work on it right now, and try to learn as much as I can.
-k

I really think after you put a little more effort into finding the right niche, things will start falling into place a little easier.

Worry about the blog before you worry about making money. That just means you need to find a topic you enjoy and wouldn't mind writing about over and over and over while still keeping it fresh and interesting.

You can't write crap, slap on some adsense or affiliate links and expect to generate a nice income.

Once you have that mapped out THEN you should start thinking about how to monetize it.

Once you get good at it, you can duplicate the process as many times as necessary.

I think I might have found my Niche. I've already made 1 post, and I'm going to do some research to see if it might be profitable, and if there are too much competition. If it's all good, I can post some more.
-k

Ok, so right now there are a lot of competition on Google search engine, however on Technorati, my posts will always show up on the first search results page for the keywords or key terms as long as I keep posting every 12 hours. I'm going to assume that's a good thing. I also know that there are quite a few forums related to my niche, and are very active.
I'm going to assume that this is a good niche, but my traffic probably will not come from google since the competition is very high. I don't know if I can talk about the exact topic here, but if I can I wouldn't mind sharing it.
Also, there are 53 Squidoo lenses related to my topic. Is that good? I've never used Squidoo.
Since I'm still inexperienced with getting traffic, I'm going to give this a go and try it out. Thanks so much for everyone who helped!
-k

kuraykillua, you aren't allowed to list your site in your post but you can list the topic if you want to. However a lot of people don't want to list their topic if it is something that is going well for them or if they have reason to believe it will do well for them. That is because it could interest others in the same topic and mean more competition for them. So you might want to give a lot of thought to it before you mention the topic. But that is up to you if you want to.

Of course if it is a topic that is against our rules (adult, gambling etc.) then we can't have a discussion about the topic.

I'm sure it complies with the rules here. It has to do with socializing. Since I studied psychology, and love to socialize, I think this might work for me. I know there is a lot of competition, but it's only the big brand names that are up. However, there's not many people blogging about it, and the big names all have affiliate programs which I can join.
I think that's a good sign. Do you?
-k

It sounds like you may be onto something.

Larwee is right. If it's a hot niche don't ever share it on a forum. However telling us the general category without giving away the specifics too much, can help us help you more and give you better advice.

Best of luck! Keep us posted on your progress!

MI
Back