The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Sneaky Affiliate Program T&C

Disciple67

affiliate
Wow, so much to learn here...but I haven't noticed anything that specifically addresses "sneaky" affiliate programs' terms and conditions (sorry, of course, if I'd missed it)...like, the usual deal is you get commissions on your sales...but apparently SBI! had courted some controversy years ago when it changed its T&C, where lifetime residual commissions would only be paid out if new sales were generated instead of just being paid out as before regardless of continued sales....

Okay, not exactly "sneaky" but y'all know what I mean...just tends to catch folks by surprise though of course everything changes, etc. -- anyway, just wondering if there are any such T&C changes or even not changes but just policies which newbies ought to be aware of...all kinds of legalese out there I'm sure which might catch a newcomer off guard!

Thanks!!

Good point to bring up.

This is essentially a financial partnership so ALWAYS reading the TOS for each program is really important so you know what you are getting yourself into.

Funny story. I did an ad campaign to help launch an affiliate program for Microsoft a few years ago. It was a new program so I checked the TOS just to be sure they had thought it through.

One of the things that was PROHIBITED is affiliate sites that sell BODY PARTS!!!

They had the typical exclusions for no gambling or adult site but also expressly prohibited sites that have anything to do with selling BODY PARTS!

I thought that was so weird and brought it up and rep said their legal department always includes that exclusion! :rolleyes:

So ya, always read the T & C. You never know what you'll find. :p

The terms for most of the programs I've worked with have been pretty standard - no adult or gambling sites, no brand bidding or brand+term bidding (if PPC is allowed), no representing yourself as the merchant, etc.

Good merchants and networks will give affiliates some warning before terms are changed, like at least 7 days, so affiliates have time to decide whether they want to remain with the program or replace it with another merchant. Notification policies is a great question to ask when joining a new program or network. Personally, I think this policy is an indication of how affiliates are viewed and respected by the company; giving consideration to an affiliate's needs shows respect.

MI
Back