The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Should I use Dreamweaver or WordPress?

mandy812

Hi,
I've been building a website using Dreamweaver but have recently been told to use WordPress instead. Which one do you think would be the best one to use for an Affiliate site?

Thanks.

Hi There mandy,

Yes I believe you have misunderstood somewhat.
Dreamweaver is used for coding in HTML, CSS, PHP etc. If you want to learn the basics to constructing a website from beginning to end, then dreamweaver is the way to go. Dreamweaver is a piece of software you use on your computer, and once you have created your website you upload to a server to show your website.

Wordpress on the other hand is called a blog content manager. To setup a blog, you do not need any coding experience at all. If you have used a word processor before you can use Word Press of the multitude of other content managers that are out there.

Verdict: If you are new to the website game, go with word press so you can start a site very quickly. All you need to worry about is writing your content for the website.

But if you are wanting to learn how to code, then use a piece of software like dreamweaver. Dreamweaver can be a little costly, so it is probably not the best tool to start off with, I am sure someone here can give some suggestions in terms of other pieces of software you can use.

Hope that explains things a bit better for you!
Cheers

Hi Mandy,

Depending on how far along you already are with the DreamWeaver site, you may not want to chuck it and switch to Wordpress.

Search engines tend to like blogs and Wordpress is easier to use as imwebdev suggested. So if you hadn't already invested in and started working with DW I would have recommended WP.

If you look at my main 5 Star site, it's all built with Dreamweaver. But if you go to my blog - it's all done with WordPress. So there are different ways to do it based on what you are trying to accomplish.

vistacmarketing - sorry that's incorrect so I wanted to eliminate confusion for any newbies that read this. Wordpress does not host websites. There is Wordpress which is a hosted BLOG solution and then there is the Wordpress most people I know use - which is a blog development software for putting a blog on your own website with your own host. Wordpress can also be used as a content management system to build web sites that aren't blogs.

Dreamweaver is a good software that gives you the added advantage to design a website at any level.The designer and Code sections can be used, whatever your preference.After designing your site,which will be resting in your computer (Local host),you need an FTP program to upload your site to your host server (Remote host) where it is now available to the public for viewing.This comes with a bit of learning.If you are not new to dreamweaver,it is a good tool to use to get your site up in WYSIWYG format.There is a learning curve ahead of you if you are new.
However,you can get your site up in a matter of few minutes using any CMS.If you want to use wordpress,you must bear it in mind that wordpress has two platforms:wordpress.com and wordpress.org.The dotcom is a hosted blog like blogger.com where you can't do much and you are restricted from monetizing it.The dotorg is the most preferred if you are thinking about monetization.This you can do by registering a domain and installing wordpress in it.As far as you have a knowledge of word document,you just log into your dashboard and you start creating your site.Using it for blogging and website creation are two different things.I hope this help you in your decisions.Thanks.
Note:you can monetize at blogger.com but wordpress is better.

I actually use both Dreamweaver AND Wordpress. I create a static HTML site around a theme or niche, add my content and product displays, then I use Wordpress to create a blog to complement the site with regular postings on the overall site theme. That way, I have a stand alone website that can eventually be "grand-fathered" on the search engines and a blog that posts ongoing content for those interested. A two-punch combination in my book. Best of luck.

From here you can determine which is best for you.Using dreamweaver for the designing of your static HTML site and wordpress for your blogging to complement your static site is a good combination.You should be able to know which is best from this.Best of luck.

I use both Dreamweaver along with Wordpress but I never use Dreamweaver to build entire websites. I always use a Content Management System like Wordpress for blogs, Modx for other sites.

I stopped building sites entirely in Dreamweaver and started building them almost exclusively in Wordpress for the same reason I stopped building my own computers and just got a Mac - I wanted to spend my time being creative instead of being technical. Don't get me wrong, I love building computers and I love getting my hands dirty with code - but I got to a point where I was spending more time with the technical stuff and less time with writing content that would generate income. You can have an awesome, standards-compliant, high-tech website built in Dreamweaver, but if you don't have any time left over for content creation, you're not going to see any returns on your work. On the other hand, if you go with Wordpress (or another CMS), you can spend a little time on customization and a lot of time on useful content generation.

That's been my experience - others may disagree ;)

help to integrate wordpress into dreamweaver

Hi, I am relatively new to both dreamweaver and wordpress. wordpress is very easy to use but I realized that it is too difficult to customize. So, I want to build a website myself, but incorporate the blog features of wordpress in my site. How do I do that?

I am building a website for my mother's non profit organization, so we want to let the members blog on the site, but we also want to provide other contents.

Thanks so much for your info.

Hi There,
Word Press is a blogging platform, but allows you to also create Pages which can be used to create the "website" features you are talking about.
I have created many sites where Word Press is used predominantly as normal website pages, with some sections being used in a blogging format.

So I believe that Word Press has all that you need. It all depends on how much time/money you have to spend on customising it yourself.
Also, take a look at all the plugins that Word Press offers, they may help you out also.

I believe being a newbie, you are going to complicate things for yourself more if you try to build a website and try to add a blog to it (unless ofcoarse you have already created a website).

Hope that helps!
Cheers
IMWebdev

I haven't used dreamweaver before , but I am using wordpress and im a complete idiot when it comes to design and i am finding it very easy to use.. So i would suggest wordpress..

banners
Back