The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Should I ask for A % of my Affiliate Earnings

bfree74

A quick question for anyone who is listening. I work for a smaller company so my pay isn't what one would call "good". I have working there for a little over 2 months now and I am pondering asking my boss for a raise in the form of taking a % of our total revenues earned through our affiliate program. I am thinking between 3-5%. Is this unreasonable? What would some of you all do?

Hi there,

I think it's reasonable and many managers are paid or bonused based on performance. I don't know if the % is right because I don't know your margins or current sales volume or anything.

If I were you I would definately ask!

However if I were your boss and wanted to motivate you to grow the program I would probably counter with a % of the sales increase of the channel. So you only earn if you grow the program. You may want to be prepared with a counter offer like that.

Well, I was going to ask my boss tomorrow, but he pulled me outside today and offered me a raise, so I guess I will put the % idea on the backburner for the time being. Thanks for the advice Linda

Cool! Congrats on the raise!

SEE! You attract what you think about.
You were thinking about Mo Money! and you got Mo Money!

Actually the important question here is: How are Affiliate Managers evaluated?
- number of new affiliates?
- number of active affiliates?
- sales volume?

Actually the important question here is: How are Affiliate Managers evaluated?

Franlky speaking,I have the same situatuon with motivation on my current job.

My boss evaluates affiliate managers for the number of new active affiliates with good sale conversion & for the increasing traffic from joined affiliates in past.

That are good targets, but it's hard to achive both during one month.

Hi Befee74,

Do you think your boss participates in this forum, as getting a pay rise not long after you wrote seems a be dubious to me. But well done.

You must be doing well to get a pay rise after 2 months, I am extremely impressed. How long have you been in affiliate marketing?

Do you like working in a small company?

I have been in affiliate marketing for 3 months. I don't think he comes to this board, but you never know. Working for a small company is great, it is relaxed, the efforts I provide make a direct impact on the bottom line. It is also very tight knit and everyone helps each other out. I enjoy it more than working for a large company.

%

I remember one the execs at Linkshare asked me if I knew what I knew now would I have asked for a % of sales increase as a bonus. This was when I was managing the Coldwater Creek affiliate program. I was able to grow that from several thousand to several million. My answer - a resounding YES!

If you can incorporate this into your compensation plan than I would. It definitely provides the proper motivation and rewards good managers when they grow their program. The question of incentives and incentives that work WITH corporate goals is something that I have been wrestling with for some time.

If your company's goals are sales, then this would work well. If it is leads, new customers or something else, maybe your bonus structure would be different.

banners
Back