The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

SEO Contest 301 redirect not acceptable

OF course it's a joke, I am team member of "threatened" site. Well, it is not only a joke. It is warning that 301 rule is vulnerable! Anyone can place a redirect to his competitors to eliminate them. I ask for the second time:

How can you avoid abuse with this rule?

I belive that if a given website is redirected to your, you may recognise this as referring domain in your site statistic. Please, report it to us after checking the correct situation and we will make the necessary steps.
Thanks

An extra step again. :( and it's hard when you are working full time and when I go home I got tons of clients in my own business too. I will make this a weekly task in checking my referring URLs.

Problem is if the 301 exist bot no one ever clicked it but Googlebot followed it. But anyway, I will still be checking a good eye on my referrers. Maybe in the last week I will check daily.

Not a good rule, as Kevinar said you can not control who redirect to who, and this rule is new, it was not mentionned at the start of the contest and we receveid no mail about that. Hopefully a friend told us about this new rule.

As Kevinar said, we can make 301 redirects to all competitors, what would you do ?, how will you prove that those redirects don't come from the owner or friends of the owner's website ?

Another point, now we also have to check if a competitor makes a 301 to our webpage... I hope before disqualifying people, you will send an email first telling that someone has made a 301 redirect.

Last point, you have not a correct tool that can tell you exactly who has made 301 redirects and if those redirects are part of the same owner, so it's not serious to try to controle that point. Competitors can also use cloaking to hide 301 to you ;)

Not nice to modify the rules now :wacko:, you should point that before the contest has started... But it is not an issue for us, we will win this seocontest2008 without 301 redirects, we have the backlinks power :first:

You also can make a new rule, and tell people not to buy links from big PR sites, it will have the same effect as your 301 redirect rule.... :)

For me making 301 redirects or using backlinks power is the same...

Regards,

Tiger

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally i don't see why your all arguing the point.

Firstly this seo contest i take as every man for him self, the fact that most people got battered to hell & found out there actually crap at seo needed to start redirecting domains to other people is fair enough.

Now clearly in the RULES it says ethic seo can be used not Black hat, now correct me if i am wrong but redirecting to another is black hat
Taking the user to another page without his or her intervention
Which i can say if i click on one i hell dont want to end up some were else!

Granted this can be used in an attack i can accept but why the hell would only a hand full of entries be targeted when there are completely legit entries with no redirects against them.

Fact is the ones that have to me look suspicious as the next lot of entries have close rankings yet no redirects!

Thanks very much for that resonate, I thought I am the only one who found it ridiculous that contestants want to dictate the rules of the games and not the organisers saying what the rules are.

I don't want to dictate nothing, I just want to know how you can surely check that point and make the difference between 301 redirects made by a contestant himself and 301 redirects made by a competitor to harm the contestant ?

Tiger,
I think you should just concentrate on contesting and we will concentrating on facilitating and judging the contest. We have our ways of finding out people who cheat with 301 or any other unacceptable method.
Thanks

Rules are no problem. The problems comes when rules are changed during contest. In the beginning there was no 301 Rule. Few day later We have e new rule. What should we expect next days? Do you get our point?

kulinar, I do not get your point, you tell me the rules that was newly added that you are referring to.

Hello all,
I'm sorry that my fist post in this forum is a controversial one, but I have to admit that I completely agree with both kulinar and tiger...
You are the only deciders, I agree on that, yet, as a competitor, we have a different point of view... Try imagining that many people competing here have done a lot for their site to become first. Now, by just adding a rule in the middle of the contest, we all are vulnerable to any bad intentioned people who can kill any contestant page, just by acting black-hat, and use 301 redirection against us... While contestant should not have anything to decide on the rules you have decided, it is also our role to warn you if you go the wrong way...

Personally, I competed on V7ndotcom Elursrebmem and Globalwarming Awareness2007 contests. On both cases, the question of 301 redirections have been put on the table. For Globalwarming, the organizers' answer was the same as yours : Any site using 301 will be disqualified. And guess what ? Since there is absolutely no way to differentiate a friendly 301 (done by a contestant or friends of his) and a unfriendly one (done by someone wanting a contestant to be disqualified using the "no-301" rule), they had to drop the idea, and several sites who should have been disqualified weren't. This way, cheating sites were above correct ones, which is absolutely not fair.

I imagine it is too late regarding this point, you have made your decision, but I just hope it won't be a controversial point of discussion, when the results will be given. It is too easy to disqualify someone else, and I really hope that the Top 3 sites (should we be in or not), won't be bothered by such a rule, which could kick out anyone of them...

Besides, even if I understand your point of view (and the original idea) about having brand new domains, if you consider forbidding 301 redirection just because they allow old sites to give an advantage, you should consider asking not to have any link on any site older that the contest beginning, which is absurd, I agree with you, but which is the same...
A 301-redirection is just a way of telling Google : "please give all this site's popularity to this other one"... It doesn't make any difference (or maybe a really tiny one) with a rendering an existing page blank with a single link on it, don't you think ?

What I just want to demonstrate (with my poor English, sorry about that) is that imposing such a rule may not fight cheaters, but give them a weapon they could use against others...
The more a site is approaching the top of Google results, the more it will be targetable, and I truly hope for our site or any other, that there will be no injustice because of this new rule (I say 'new' because nothing was said about 301-redirs, on the original rules)

Thanks in advance for not throwing me rotten tomatoes :death::D

Now, by just adding a rule in the middle of the contest, we all are vulnerable to any bad intentioned people who can kill any contestant page, just by acting black-hat, and use 301 redirection against us...

Eclipsis, thanks very much for taking the time to post this detailed message, no rotten tomatoes coming your way.

Just one think I need to put right with you, kulinar and others who assumed this is a new rule. Its is NOT a new rule, thought we did not specifically mention 301 redirect but we said new url or new sub page, here is how Bagi address this issue in another post.
By the way, I did not make the rules Bagi did and he is the FINAL authority on this contest.

From where we are now, knowing that 301 is such a contentious issue, the next contest we will be organising we will spell it out in BIG letter that 301 redirect is now acceptable.

But we have not changed the rules, you just seem to interpret the rules differently and we interpreted it differently.

Thanks

Hi Temi,
Thanks for your reply...

You're right, for Seocontest2009 :)winkiss:) the best would be to write in black on white, this way, we'll be less confused...
Anyway, the misunderstanding could also come from the fact that some of us are no "English-speaking" people...

PS: Concerning tomatoes, I guess they would have come with white beans (since you are from UK), which would have been worse for my clothes... :D
Bye !

Last edited:
lol its amazing its turning into a free for all. Honestly though is $1000 really worth breaking the rules for if it were $1,000,000,000,000 then i could understand it.

I don't think they want to break the rule, I think they just did not know the correct interpretation of "new url" to mean new in every sense if the word... if you forward and old url to a new one with 301 redirect, they do not understand that that makes the new url not new any more.

banners
Back