The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Search-For.Us Web Directory

mr_bill

affiliate
I have been doing some work on a site I have had for a few months trying to create a decent directory. This is my first one I have ever done. So would like some feedback on what else I could do to make this better. Should I have feed or mods on the sub category pages? Looking to know what other features I should include. Is the current layout of mods ok? Does anyone see any layout problems or other issues?

Site is Search-For.Us

At what point in a directories life do you decide to remove the free listing and start charging? Once the main page has PR? or once all the sub categories have PR?

What is a decent way to market a directory to make it profitable to own?

Nice Directory :)

If you want to switch off free listings, then do it when you have some PR on the homepage. I have seen some directories who start to charge with no PR and webmasters pay to get listed. It's not always about the PR but also about how much traffic you are recieving and also the quality of the site.

I like the mods, and the site looks good.
As for charging, well thats a BIG question.
Depend if you are looking for high numbers of submissions or just quality submissions.
yes you must have a good pr and traffic to be able to charge, but its also alot about good marketing. If you get the name well known, and i think you have a winning name, then your halfway there.
People need to see the site as a "household name" to be confident in paying.
Its a risk but i have seen some who spend a fortune on ads and if its done right things can be good, if not ..well my best advise is spend what you can afford to loose.
Back to the question of changing from free to paid, this is a question i posed when i had a sucsesful directory good pr and thousands of listings etc...the answer? There isnt one to "cover all".

I appreciate the input. This will probably remain a free directory. Maybe I will get lucky and get some people to buy featured sites and maybe some advertising later down the road. For now I will take the advice and gain its popularity and then go from there.

Maybe I will get lucky and get some people to buy featured sites and maybe some advertising later down the road.

I am always buying link from sites if the price is righ, especially link on the homepage.
So if you put a good price together, I will be interested in buying 3 or more links on the homepage and additional as featured link in categories.

Temi, as I am new to this I would have to learn some more before I could give a proper price as I dont know what going rates and deal would be. I will save this for later down the road if your still interested.

Would be cool to sell you some since Im trying to raise the 55dollars needed for the new PHPld version,forum access and the mods I want. If you could think of something I can give in that price range Ill do it just so I can upgrade :) Could even offer some links on some of PR4 sites in the proxy network I own.

Updated

So this site has a new look. Added a good amount of mods to this site to benefit your submission. We have included keyword and descriptions to categories and are now allowing you to add meta tags to your submissions.

Anyone who has submitted one and cares to update it let me know.

Ok, I have changed the entire website now and would like feedback on any changes that should be done anything that you see is wrong with it.

On the to do list.
Remove detail links as those will be for + accounts.
Random featured link on the main page.
Possible deep link option for + accounts.
A featured page like the top link page.
create a article submission area.
Fix the friendly links for the details page (was up but had a glitch with the htaccess conflicted with other options)

Feel free to submit away run it through some tests, If you submit a link be sure to check your email this is to verify your submission.

Looking for any feedback good or bad. If you want to advertise on the main page I am open for adding a couple more sites.

Hi,
I am adversting of these two website URLs, so go on these website and add your URL in free cost.

Thankyou,
Vajeesh Partab

MI
Back