The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Scottish smokers offered money to quit smoking

temi

affiliate
Smokers in the poorest areas of Dundee are being offered £150 worth of groceries by the health service if they are able to give up cigarettes.
Participants in a 12-week scheme will be given £12.50 a week by NHS Tayside if a carbon monoxide breath test proves they have not been smoking.
The money will be credited onto an electronic card which cannot be used for cigarettes or alcohol.
There are 36,000 smokers in Dundee, about half of whom live in poverty.
The scheme is similar to a project used by the trust to encourage pregnant women to give up smoking.

full story

lol good idea, maybe they should try it across the nation ? i would imagine you would have to prove you were a smoker before taking part or you'd just get people added it like another Doll cheque

Yes, maybe the will distribute the voucher via your local tobacconist who knows you are a smoker :)

Stop. Dundee Council should be looking at helping those in poverty. Not the smokers. CRAZY, CRAZY I can not beleive this council.

The "Poll" on breakfast TV was:

90% voted NO to giving smokers money.
10% voted YES.

I will vote Yes, giving them money (if they really quite) will save the tax payer much more money in the long run. Smoking related illness is said to cost an awful lot to treat

I must admit, I agree with Clan.

Rather than the NHS treating patients for smoking, the smokers should pay for the treatment. It was a conscious choice to smoke. The NHS never held a gun to their heads and told them to smoke.

Why should I pay for someone else's illness when it was self-inflicted.

There are million on the streets throughout the UK due to financial problems, family issues and cognitive problems.

Last year I donated 150,000 to 4 charities, Shelter was one of the 4, to help people on the streets. Would I give that kind of money to someone who brought something on themselves? no.

KP

The way NHS is currently set up, its cheaper to pay them to quit than. However, if NHS is changed to work say like the US system for example where you pay for your own treatment, then, there is not point paying smokers to quite.

I just wonder how about the cigarettes company going on with this issue.
Giving $150 to the smoker is not the good idea. they can buy something with that $12.50 (per week) then exchange it with cigarette.
Not all people is dumb :D
In my country, government make a rule that smokers shouldn't smoke in public place.

It's also illegal to smoke in public places in the UK.

I bet when they announced smokers would be getting money to stop all the dole louts got a big grin on their faces.

Another channel to screw money from tax payers.

The tobacco industry complies with all the rules and regulations set by the government/EU.

The latest tactic is to stop selling packs of 10 and/or keep them under the counter.

I don't have an issue with smoking, I smoke myself but if I fall ill with some kind of cancer, I will pay for it via my private health insurance. I won't use the NHS.

KP

I will pay for it via my private health insurance. I won't use the NHS.

I wish its that easy KP, its not. Knowing insurance companies, I will not be surprised if they do not say to you that cancer caused by smoking is self inflicted hence not covered by you health insurance :)

Better giving then £12.50 to stay out of McDonalds. This is a disgrace bribing people to give up. Already the smoking ban has seen a reduction in the quantity of cigarettes sold. I have a friend who is waiting on treatment, but the board cannot afford to employ the additional staff to cut waiting times, but can afford to spend an estimated £500,000 in to bribr people off cigarettes.

banners
Back