The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Recurring vs. Big Payments

CyberWizard

affiliate
I am just wondering if you guys like recurring payments or big payments better. For example, most hosting companies will give you one of two options for their affiliate program:

1. You get paid, for example, $75 for each signup you get.

2. You get paid $10 every month for each person you get to signup. But, as long as that person you refer continues to host with them, they will continue to send you the payment every month.

I am just wondering what your opinion is on this.

I prefer recurring payments. It may happen that your website will not so successful like now in the future, but with residual income affiliate programs you can earn steady commissions from the sales made in past.

However, it is important to do some research before your start to promote some program of this kind. The product or service should meet some quality standards otherwise the clients will leave soon.

You mentioned web hosting companies in your post. They are ideal source of the residual commission because their client need to pay regularly for the hosting plans in order to keep their website online.

Yes I agree if affiliates like to go for recurring payment programs you need to be sure the company has a good track record and good support so your sales stick over time and you keep getting paid. Otherwise may be better to just get the one off bigger payment.

I personally love the recurring payments - as some pinpointed here you don't know what the future holds, so a steady cashflow each month is preferred.. but of course you never know what happens with the affiliate company either so that's also something to think about.. but prefer not to fear the worst :)

In reality it all depends on the product. Some are much better with a one time payment, others with recurring.

I have had success with both - I am still reaping the recurring benefits four years after initial sales with one product. Other products have lent themselves towards one time lump sum paments whech haave paid off. In some programs, I have had the options of both!

Bottom line IMHO is to research the product and try to determine the reality of a member buying for a long time or again and again - or for them being a one time buyer only.

It's always nice to sell once and then collect those recurring commissions for months, sometimes years. A passive residual income stream is more attractive than a single payment.

If we stick to the hosting companies, if they are good like GoDaddy, BlueHost, HostGator then I suggest to go for recurring but if you are an affiliate of some new companies, there are no guarantee that they will stay in future and people will stay with them. So go for upfront payment.

Hey all,

There is no need to have one over the other, combine the two.

Recurring on hosting is obviously great as someone has already mentioned.

I go for the highest commission when the products are one off payments.

I also promote some really high end products where the payout matches or exceeds a year of residual on the average product.

Just get that commission!!!

Rob

Great topic I also prefer residual payments over one time payments because that is how you build up long term wealth. Just make sure you are promoting companies that people will stick with for long term so your commissions keep coming in monthly.

You have to make sure that the site has been around for a while or is by a trusted company before doing recurring. Nothing worse then having them disappear after a couple months in business and you losing all those recurring commissions.

I am just wondering if you guys like recurring payments or big payments better. For example, most hosting companies will give you one of two options for their affiliate program:

2. You get paid $10 every month for each person you get to signup. But, as long as that person you refer continues to host with them, they will continue to send you the payment every month.

Hi there
Recurring payment is only available with a high-risk merchant account. That is because merchant automatically charges money from a credit card. So for such model of payment you need to have a high-risk payment processor. I recommend you to look at PaySpacelv. We provide high-qualified merchant processing for all business verticals.

Last edited:
They are both good and bad -- depends on the reliability of the sellers and payers.
Try to find a deal with strong financials and a good reputation.
That is about all you can do ...

Hello Cyber.

It's same in gaming, you can get a fast high payout for a FTD or you can do revshare which is continously.

It all depends on you, if you can wait longer for more, then revshare in my experience is way better and gives for a longer period of time. If you want a better cashflow here and now, then take the one time fee :)

It depends, if the product is good and people tend to stay with it, in the long term recurring will generate more money.

banners
Back