The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Recipes eBook on Amazon - Duplicate Content Issues?

bluedot

Hello,

I have a mobile app on Apple Appstore, which is full of various recipes. Now I'm thinking about releasing an eBook on Amazon (for Kindle only) which would include the most popular recipes from the app (I just want to test the eBook waters).

Recipes are not copyrighted in the US ("Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of ingredients. Nor does it protect other mere listings of ingredients such as those found in formulas, compounds, or prescriptions."), however, what if Amazon finds "duplicate" content in my eBook? Do they even screen recipe eBooks? Most of my recipes are from various websites (copy/paste) and some are modified a little to my personal liking (less sugar, less fat, etc.).

I would appreciate if someone could share their experience or thoughts about this.

Thanks.

I wouldn't see why they would if they aren't copyrighted? Why not contact them?

Are your recipes just lists of ingredients though or do they include directions and commentary as well?

Just because lists of ingredients might not be subject to copyright laws it doesn't mean the actual writing/directions/commentary isn't. If your recipes are copied from another site and they are more than just a list of ingredients I'd reword them just to be on the safe side.

Here's a short paragraph I found from this page about the subject:

"Generally speaking, a simple list of ingredients is not subject to copyright – if they were, then a shopping list would fall under copyright and that’s just plain silly. What may fall into the domain of protected intellectual property is the style of writing of the recipe method. It is always advisable to write out the method in your own words, rather than run the risk of infringing copyright by simply cutting and pasting."

Yes, the ingredients are copy/pasted, while directions are written by me. Thanks for the "recipe ownership" link - I'm now 100% sure how to go about this. :)

Hi,

It's kind of the luck of the draw whether or not they will consider it duplicate content -- or even catch you. If the content comes from your own blog, for example, then they shouldn't give you a problem. Just provide them with the info to demonstrate that it's from your own work. If you can't prove it's yours, then they will block your book from selling. If you have a lot of books that are questionable, then your KDP account may be shut down. I have some Kindle students who had their book content challenged (perhaps they outsourced the content) and they simply sent a message to Amazon saying it was theirs and had no problem. One friend in France had to walk into the Paris office and explain that he outsourced the content from another country before they reinstated his account.

Sometimes, I think it's like with TSA at the airports-- they just do random checks and if someone doesn't reply, they assume it's because they're guilty. If you have lots of books that have content that can be found word for word across the internet, then tread carefully as it may get your account shut down without notice.

Hope this helps.
Adrienne

Hello, Adrienne.

Thanks, I appreciate your insight into this matter. I've since changed my mind, because Amazon is great for my apps, and I figure, that I don't need to make any unnecessary risks. I'll just do it the standard way - I'll research what's popular, find a few good books, and make something similar.

Cheers.

There are many cookbooks on kindle that have the same recipes, for example everyone and their cat is publishing a smoothie book, and most of those have the same recipes in them.
Its very hard (if not impossible) to publish a cookbook on kindle and have recipes that are only featured in your book.

That's true, yes. My second books is now in the production and the next one will be a recipe eBook. But I'll change the order of ingredients, maybe just a little the ingredients, etc. I'll probably make it free, tho, and promote my paid books in it.

MI
Back