The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Quick question

mrchipz

is it legal to copy and paste an entire article from another site to mine, put quotations on the whole thing, and site it at the bottem?

i dont see how this could be considered plagarism, seeing as that its sited and quoted, but i thought id make sure

thanks to all that reply

Copyright laws on citing and copying are not crystal clear. But the general rule of thumb I go by is 2 paragraphs, quoted and link to source to read the rest.

Think of it this way. Turn the tables and do unto others...

If you sweat blood and tears to research, write and proof articles for your site and if others STOLE your work, even tho they gave you credit, would you be OK with it? Now if 150 people steal it and post in on their sitesk doesn't it devalue your work? Possibly de-values the search engine value too?

Now an exception is articles on article directory sites. Copying an article is often times fine as long as you include the bio or whatever they require. The difference is the author is saying, here you go, go ahead and post my article.

Copyright laws on citing and copying are not crystal clear. But the general rule of thumb I go by is 2 paragraphs, quoted and link to source to read the rest.

Think of it this way. Turn the tables and do unto others...

If you sweat blood and tears to research, write and proof articles for your site and if others STOLE your work, even tho they gave you credit, would you be OK with it? Now if 150 people steal it and post in on their sitesk doesn't it devalue your work? Possibly de-values the search engine value too?

Now an exception is articles on article directory sites. Copying an article is often times fine as long as you include the bio or whatever they require. The difference is the author is saying, here you go, go ahead and post my article.

well that was kinda the point was to come up with a legal way to steal someones work, but since you said the laws arent very clear ill go ahead and do some research to find out what i can and cant do, thanks for the reply

No way as this is a theft and you can be punished for it if you are caught by the site owner, but in general it is not fair enough as some people can do the same to you.

I think it is ok to add couple of paragraphs and add the source with the link at the bottom. Plus you can always contact the site owner and ask for permission to use the article (or a part of it) with a link back.

Linda is correct, you cannot take an entire article and put it on your blog
but you can take snippets of an article and link to it, it is done quite often
and it's called content curation marketing.

The Huffington Post is such a site and Arianna Huffington sold it to AOL
for $315 Million.

But one needs to be careful when doing curation.
Below is a quote along with it's source

Some things to watch out for in content curation:

• Not giving credit or linking to the source
  • Taking too much. I’ve seen some “curators” who pull basically a whole article and put it in quotes and source it – that’s too much
  • Quantity over quality – make sure you focus on quality versus getting as much content as possible
  • Automation – automated curation (“content aggregation”) can lead to low quality.
  • Consider having a human hand in your process
  • Going 100% curated. A mix of original content and curated content is better than 100% curated in most cases
  • Having the same style of article each time – try to be creative with your curated posts
Source > rightmixmarketing.com

MI
Back