The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Question regarding keyword research

royalenoob

affiliate
I have found a niche and I am now beginning to find a low competition and high search volume keyword. However, when researching the competition, I am looking at the top 5 sites for my keyword and see that they are primarily authority sites such as target, walmart, amazon, ebay, etc. Is there anyway of competing with those sites for a specific keyword? They have millions of indexed pages, I assume they cant possibly be able to optimize every single page as well as I can optimize a few.

Any help would be appreciated.

out-ranking amazon etc... is not as hard as some may think. Im pretty sure you will do alright. Also it might be harder to find high volume low competition keywords. If you have then your ahead of the game

The only way to answer this will be to look at the links they have to the specific page that is beating you.

If you think you can provide a better link profile than they can then you have a good chance.

Of course they do have a lot of authority, many of their pages probably have links and their sites are aged a long time.

This is where internet marketing become fun!

Yes, you can outrank the biggies like those listed above -you just need a little bit of planning ahead.

Firstly buy a domain name that contains the product your looking to rank for,
Secondly, establish the keywords your looking to rank for, and thirdly, try to build your site in whats known as a silo structure - then when you drive links to the homepage, the goodness and benefit of these links will drip into all of your other pages.

This is what I do with my sites - and they are still working irrelevant of whatever animal name update Google pull out.

Example silo layout:
basicsilostructure.png

Google has indicated that they are downgrading the value of Exact Match Domains (EMDs) and keyword domains but so far they do still appear to have some value.

In September last year the head of Google web spam fighting team Matt Cutts announced on Twitter that Google will be rolling out a "small" algorithm change that will "reduce low-quality 'exact-match' domains"

I think the key here is low-quality 'exact-match' domains as long as you treat your website like the business asset is it, then you should be safe from any updates etc.

MI
Back