The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Question about offer I got

frugalwench

affiliate
I got an offer from a publishing company that compiles and sells book to seniors. I visited their website, and it looks like it's just a couple that does it, not a complete publishing company per se, but nevertheless, I'm a one person business, so I can't throw stones.

They are writing a book on gardening, and wanted me to write and article about how to find free or cheap things for the garden. I asked them what the compensation would be and they said only a copy of the edited article, so I politely said no, that I did not write for free, but thanks for the offer.

I'm trying to set a precedent here that my writing is a business, and I don't give my work away. Was I right? It's not like it was an international publishing house (to which I would probably gladly give my work away for the exposure). At best, they will sell about 20,000 books, and I figure I can expose myself to 10 times that many people online in the time it takes to write the article, get it published, and sell that many books. Most of those people are not going to visit my website, where the ones I contact online will.

Plus, if they think I have saleable material, maybe I should do my own little ebook and give it away for traffic.

Just want opinions. What do you think? In a way, I feel bad for turning down a small business venture, but in the other, I feel like I have to take care of #1 first right now.

"I feel like I have to take care of #1 first right now."

It sounds to me like you carefully weighed the pros and cons.
As a small one person business your time, knowledge and talent
are the main assets you have.

So you really do need to decide to use them wisely
and weigh whether the outcome is worth the effort.
Sounds like that's what you did!

Don't feel bad. They ask for free articles and I'm sure they get some from people who have time and like to write free articles, just to get published. That's just not where you are at right now - and that's OK!

banners
Back