The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

purchase from own affiliate link

I would love to be able to give you an answer that would be absolutely correct 100% of the time. But that might not be possible in this particular case.

The best thing to do is to read the Terms of Service or check with the particular merchant.

Some will allow you to make a purchase and receive a commisison for it. However the vast majority don't allow it and will have something written about it in their terms.

As an example, here is what Amazon has to say about it:
You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through the links on your site for your own use, for resale or commercial use of any kind. This includes orders for customers or on behalf of customers or orders for products to be used by you. Such purchases may result (in our sole discretion) in the withholding of referral fees or the termination of this Agreement.

Hi psp,

Larwee is right. Some allow it and some don't. So always double check. In CB it may not be in main TOS but may be different for each merchant, not sure, need to check carefully. Lots of CB affiliates steal commission from each other by using their own affiliate ID so I think at least some programs allow it.

My personal opinion is that with retail products like computers and shoes and guitars, it's a good practice. Partly because if affiliates buy the product they can give reviews and may even become loyal evangelists for the retailed. With Internet marketing ebook type products I don't think it's a good practice due to the potential for stealing commissions.

I can't tell you for sure, just give you my opinion:

(1) viewing as an affiliate promoting and then not getting credit, because you use your own id it is not good, right - but to be honest, if someone does not want to give you credit, there's nearly always a way, these are bad customers anyway, you'll not be happy to have them on your list

(2) viewing as the seller selling the product I would say, if they don't say definitely no, they will certainly allow it - the reason: it's business for them & means more money, because you are more often buying, "because" you get a discount (psychologic selling)

So to speak, it's not nice, but also you cannot prevent it really - I by myself would not "kick out" an affiliate, if he is just buying from him-/herself - it's paid business and like said, bargain hunters will always get their bargain or not buy - my point of view. End :)

And taking it a step further...

Many companies give employee discounts so why not let affiliates buy and get a partner rebate so to speak in the form of cash back commission. Affiliates aren't employees but still they are helping your business so I can see giving them a buying discount because they are "partners". Plus if an affiliate makes a sale - who cares if the end user is a customer or the affiliate themselves.

If I had an affiliate program I would allow it, for sure!

that's what I wanted to say and yes, I have an affiliate program, where I even tell people, they SHALL use their own links to purchase - I want to show them the products don't I? And if they are happy with the product, they sell more - don't you use vouchers for instance offering 10% off to sell more? it's the same, marketing at it's best ;)

MI
Back