The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Promo via a newsletter/ezine

F

fitnfree

I utilize a newsletter as part of my promo and utilize a double opt-in for my subscribers. I never, ever send out anything other than my newsletter once a week (in other words, I never send out ads in between issues), and no one is put on that list who doesn't request to be on it.

However, I've had this happen to me and just this week a local place did this to my mother and really upset her so I'm curious what your thoughts are on this tactic:

Resident contacts a person with a general, one-time only business inquiry -- contacted person sticks sender on a newsletter mailing list w/o asking if sender wants to receive said newsletter.

So, my question is, do you think this is unethical?

That is cheeky! It should not have been done without the consent of your mum.

It shows that you have to be careful who you give your info too. Did you phone that company back up?

I'm not sure what my mom did, but I told her that was a pretty lousy thing for that place to do and she had every right to complain about it. I later talked to someone who works for the city and he said the same woman that did this to my mom, signed up every single city employee on her "list", too! None of them asked for it, either. (She's a city employee, too -- now I think I've stumbled onto some unethical goings-on within our city via the use of our tax dollars and I'm persuing that with a vengence!!)

Thank you -- I'm so relieved to see it isn't just me thinking this way. I've read about that tactic before, but thought it wasn't even legal since the CAN SPAM Act. However, I looked that up and it doesn't seem to specifically address this little trick. It should!

MI
Back